1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think I need a limiter now?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevteop, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Q-Tron arrived today and I see what everybody means about the crazy peaks it produces.

Quick question(s): Would a limiter after my filters fix things, and are the Boss limiters good enough for this purpose or would I be better off looking at some other model?

I promise to stop opening so many threads once I've got my pedal board sorted out. I did try a search but could only find more general compressor advice.

2. I use the Boss LMB-3 for exactly this purpose, and I love it. Just make sure you turn the "enhance" knob down to zero, and it works perfectly. A few users around here have reported artifacts (i.e. pops or clicks) when you hit the threshold hard, but I have never heard it. Granted, I only play in band situations. If you play solo, this may bug you.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Great, that's the one I was looking at. Thanks for the info.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The LMB3 is fine. I also like the Guyatone BL2 and the Alesis Micro Limiter for this purpose.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Everyone should use a limiter, IMHO.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Just a related tip, in my experience blending clean signal with envelope filters can really take the piss out of envelope filter peakiness while retaining the funkiness.