Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I need an EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beav, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I play with some buddies of mine for our church services on Wednesday nights and I have to plug into the board and I'm having a horrible problem being able to get midrange out of my bass. My gear consists of some random pedals though a BDDI. I love the BDDI, but without a mid knob I'm dying. Even with the BDDI boosting as much mids as possible I'm getting nothing. I switch basses between an OLP MM and an SX P(both with Duncan pickups and a Duncan pre on the OLP) and can find some mids with the OLP but nothing with the P. I think I need an EQ pedal, but I'm really stretched for cash right now so it needs to be under 50 dollars. I've tried raising the mids on the PA, but they're all high mids, and I want some low mids.

(Mods - I'm sorry, if this is in the wrong spot, but I couldn't really tell where it should go)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, the BDDI isn't condusive to midrange boosting - especially with the tube emulation which I've found to muddy up the sound.

Try a boss geb-7 bass eq pedal (don't get the guitar version, which doesn't go low enough for bass), you should be able to pick up one used for your price range.

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Did you try turning down the blend knob? Sometimes if you back off on the Sansamp part of the sound, it clears things up. I always ran my RBI with the blend at the half way position.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I second the Boss GEB-7. I bought one not too long ago to spice up my P-bass and it did wanders. I tried my friend's BDDI through the Boss with my P-bass and it was a whole new rig.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    What about a DOD bass EQ?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    never tried it, but if you look at the specs you see that the lowest band is 100hz vs 40hz on the boss.