Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i think i need more power... which is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smallfry, Sep 8, 2004.

1. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    after some time, i have come to the conclusion that i think i need more power... perhaps someone here can verify wheather or not this situation makes sense.

i have a walkabout 4 ohm 300w head and a peavy 4 ohm 400w rated cab (1x15/2x8). i assumed that there was no way that my amp could distort the cab, since the power rating on the cab was more than my amp could produce... but....

now i am thinking that the reason my cabinet is distorting when the amp knobs are at about 5 on the preamp and 5-6 on the main, is that the amp itself is maxed and is sending a distorted signal. does that sound accurate?

so, what i wanted to know, is since my cabinet has a bi-amp area on the back... does that mean i could possibly buy another amp head (like say a smaller 100w additional amp) and run my 300 watt walkabout and another 100watt head, (maybe a lower wattage hartke or somehthing) to my single cab simultaneously to get louder sound and less distortion. does this sound like it would work?

the other option i was thinking about would be buy another small combo with a 1x15 and use the y cable (that i read about here) to run both my walkabout (with scout) with the before mentioned small combo.

i love the walkabout sound so much and for my upright gig, it is killer, but my other rock gig... well, it just seems to be almost enough, but not quite.

and comments or ideas?

2. i have a walkabout scout (12") and run it with a mesapowerhouse 2x10 cab and it rocks...no distortion
    sounds like you cab is crapping out on you...peavey is not a good match for your mesa ! quality is just not there.
    i've run my walkabout head into two ampeg 15" svt cabs with good results, but i much prefer my scout with the powerhose ext. you could also be boosting your eq too much, try running everything flat and try cutting the lower frequencys instead of boosting
    also if you are running an active bass your input level should never need to be more than 12:00....regards

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Unfortunately, that's not how it works. A 50 watt amp can distort into a 1000 watt cab . . .

Bingo. That's more like how it works. It depends on tone settings, etc., but MOST distortion comes from taxing the poweramp's capabilities. You can tax a speaker into distortion too, but that usually entails pumping extreme power and tonality which exceeds the speaker's capabilities.

Not into a single cab, but if you wanted to send lows to one cab and mids and highs to another, it would work, but you'd need a variable crossover if your walkabout doesn't have one built in.

Might help, might not. Depends on what the other amp is. You usually get a bump in loudness when using more cabs - its a matter of more speaker area moving more air. It might be better just to get a more powerful amp and use just one for the gigs where you need it.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sounds like you need a MUCH bigger amp for your rock gig. or another amp and cab. I doubt you could but another cab into your current system without lowering the 'load' too much for the walkabout to handle. or maybe get two larger 8ohm cabs.