1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I need to change guage or construction type...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Hello, I'm Augustos Mintz, and I like to play aggressively.

I currently use DR Highbeams 40-100 on both my basses. I play pretty aggressive (espeically on E and A)and am really starting to notice that my strings arent really "fighting back" like I want them to.

I've read around and have sen mentioned that a heavier guage should help, but I have fallen in love with the the .100's I've been using for the past 3 years (different sets ofcourse...). The feel of them on my fretting hand is just what I like.

I also remember going to Guitar Center and the accesories guy recommending a set of strings for aggresive playing, but I blew him off cause he's known to just reccomend things without really knowing. But I think he said Hexcore or something...

I searched and didnt get what I wanted what ype of strings should I look for. I know I need more tension, but I like light guage. Help me out people, I'm getting tired of gertting new sets just because of a broken string...:(

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think the solution is obvious, you aren't going to be happy until you try a higher guage. So get a set of DR high beam 45-105 and put them on one bass. Then decide which set you like better.

3. Yea, that I sort of knew. But I guess my real question is there annother way to getting higher tension without buying heavier guage, and no, I'm not really a flatwound fan.

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    If you want to keep your same guage w/more tension try Prosteels.

5. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    The strings the salesperson talked about was probably DR Lo Riders. They are spun on a hexagon shaped core (don't worry, the string is round ;) ), which makes the string stiffer than the traditional round core.

6. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Here you go:

7. Yea, those were the ones he was talking about. Thanks Ganga.