Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I need to change guage or construction type...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Hello, I'm Augustos Mintz, and I like to play aggressively.

I currently use DR Highbeams 40-100 on both my basses. I play pretty aggressive (espeically on E and A)and am really starting to notice that my strings arent really "fighting back" like I want them to.

I've read around and have sen mentioned that a heavier guage should help, but I have fallen in love with the the .100's I've been using for the past 3 years (different sets ofcourse...). The feel of them on my fretting hand is just what I like.

I also remember going to Guitar Center and the accesories guy recommending a set of strings for aggresive playing, but I blew him off cause he's known to just reccomend things without really knowing. But I think he said Hexcore or something...

I searched and didnt get what I wanted what ype of strings should I look for. I know I need more tension, but I like light guage. Help me out people, I'm getting tired of gertting new sets just because of a broken string...:(

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think the solution is obvious, you aren't going to be happy until you try a higher guage. So get a set of DR high beam 45-105 and put them on one bass. Then decide which set you like better.

3. Yea, that I sort of knew. But I guess my real question is there annother way to getting higher tension without buying heavier guage, and no, I'm not really a flatwound fan.

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    If you want to keep your same guage w/more tension try ProSteels.

5. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    The strings the salesperson talked about was probably DR Lo Riders. They are spun on a hexagon shaped core (don't worry, the string is round ;) ), which makes the string stiffer than the traditional round core.

6. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Here you go:

7. Yea, those were the ones he was talking about. Thanks Ganga.