1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i think i need to stop reading books by british authors.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I have been told that i am starting to spell certain words incorrectly such as colour, honour, and favour. One of my friends even told me to seek immediate help. :oops:

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Good, you're learning to spell it the right way. ;)

3. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    Agreed :D

4. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Yes, well done for learning English.

5. ah, the influence of la belle france

american english allegedly resembles old english more accurately.

6. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    It does indeed. Words like "gotten" died out here centuries ago, but are still in common use in the US today, apparently.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That is correct, in most cases, the US spelling is the "correct" English spelling before the English moved to a more French style of spelling.

8. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    The English language had always had a high degree of French influence going back millenia. Colour, for example, in the English language has always been colour AFAIK.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    True, but your statement and mine are not mutually exclusive.

FWIW:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Wikipseudopoda is the last thing from which I would take advice on this !! :p

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Feel free to look it up elsewhere, the result won't change! :D

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You're going to have to come to grips with it sooner or later, Bruce. Wikipedia is very well moderated these days.

13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Wikipedia articles on languages are quite good. They have one about the differences between spanish and portuguese that is quite incredible.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Their technical and science articles are also very good. When we need to look something up at work we check Wikipedia first and then verify it, usually from a text. I have yet to see an engineering or physics article that was wrong.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If I want real knowledge I will read books! :p

16. Did you mean to call it "wiki false foot"?:D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Most certainly!

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, that goes a long way to explaining why your knowledge is so behind the times. :D

19. Bruce Lindfield

I'd rather be right than current! :p

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What if the only possibility of being right is the result of being current?