I think I overplayed......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PTBassMan, Nov 3, 2005.

1. PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    What kind of injuries are associated with playing too long and too hard? Did that for a couple of nights in a row, now my left elbow throbs and my right forearm and wrist do the same (I am a RH player). It's not a pulled muscle pain, just one of those pains that when it's there makes you kinda sick. Are these possibly from playing? Been playing for over a year now, figured I'd be used to it.
  2. It's called 'tennis elbow'...which can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis. Yes, you can get it from overplaying, being too tense when you play, not stretching enough beforehand, not stretching during, not relaxing between, and generally not being conditioned enough to do the work.

You can't just go out and bang a hammer for two days straight and not expect to feel some pain in your arm.

Suggestions: Practice as hard as you play. Calm down, and maybe take a Motrin before you play (not to be mixed with alcohol) which will relax the muscles. Work on stretching your forearms, wrists and elbows before you play and during set breaks.
  3. PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
    Well...called my doc. Based on symptoms, he said tendonitis and wanted to inject cortisone. I almost passed out at the the sound of that. Had it in my knee once and they had to practiclly peel me off the ceiling. Nurse told me to put left arm in sling to immobilize it then alternate advil and motrin erery 6 hours through the weekend and if not better will have to get the cortisone. Don't know if I can handle not playing all weekend. At least I can still work the tv remote with my right hand ;-) Anyone in here had cortisone in thier elbow? How was it?

4. It tickles...like kitten whiskers brushing across your arm.

5. PTBassMan

May 11, 2005
    Barberton, OH
  6. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I just developded the same problem in my left elbow. Has gotten progressively worse as i tried to play throuh the pain. Hurts like hell to play, no fun at all. Did research on the interenet, my symptoms indicates tennis elbow as well.

PTBassMan, has your elbow healed?
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a sniveling baby! I grooved my bone finger on the cheese grater, and played some bass just to see more blood.