Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I screwed my bass up.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Jul 17, 2002.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I was changing the strings on my Peavey B-Quad 4 yesterday.
    I took all the strings off at once, since it has a graphite neck and I wasn't that worried about the lack of tension on it.
    I lean it carefully against the couch while I grab the strings, and I hear a weird noise. It sounded like it MIGHT have been something on the bass.
    I pick it up and look it over, and I notice a decent crack from the top left screw hole that holds the neck on. The crack goes from the screw to the bass.
    Did I do that by taking all the strings off?
    Man, I feel like an idiot.
    Thing is, I got it used, and it's a prototype - and I didn't get an extended warranty. Whether I did it at that moment or not, I feel like I'm screwed. I've only had it for a few months.
    So without seeing it, what do you think? Could the lack of tension done that? Have you seen something like this before? Would you guess that it's more than just cosmetic? (It feels deep.)

2. I don't think it 'should' do that.

No matter the coverage on the bass, I would contact Peavey and tell them what happend. They will probably direct you back to the retailer. I would demand that they replace the bass. No doubt! If they don't, write a letter to Peavey directly telling them in a professional way how unhappy you are and that you will never consider them again. Also write one to the retail store where you got the bass if they don't replace it.

Thats about all you can do, and it really may work. People would be suprised at how much writing letters actually works! I know from experience.

Good luck -
    K.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I used to change strings like that on my PV BQ4, never had a problem. I don't think that could have caused the crack.

Scary thing is that the bass has been out of production for so long, I'm not sure what they can do for you...but it's definitely worth checking with PV. They tend to be pretty helpful.
    Hope it works out.