1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i think i sold a P-bass for Guitar Center yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarshallLaw, May 1, 2010.

1. so yesterday, i wanted to get out of the house and do something, so i ventured up to the local Guitar Center and messed around on basses and guitars for a while.

this guy is hanging out in the bass section with a P and a J in front of him, talking to an employee. the employee walks away, im checking out a couple basses, and he starts talking to me.
    "you play bass?"
    "yep"
    "i cant decide between these two"
    he points to the basses in front of him. a kinda dinged up and dirty looking mexican sunburst Jazz Bass for $400, and a beautiful used American Deluxe P Bass in turquoise for $900.
    "this is gonna be my first bass, my friend just gave me a bass amp so i figured i should get a bass."
    i told him that the J would be a great beginner bass, but its a little overpriced for its condition. the P is a lot more expensive, but it will be the only bass you ever need, etc etc. so if you've got the money, go for the P.

he still looks indecisive and starts trying to play the P. he has no idea what he's doing, so he says "i cant really play this thing... can you play it and tell me what you think?"

so i jam on it for 5 minutes or so, tell him i'd love to have one.

he says it reminds him of old Pink Floyd records. im not a Floyd fan, but i break out the one Floyd bassline i know... Money.

his eyes light up, he says he's gonna go with the P.

should i ask GC for a commission check?

2. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    That's a lot better than they seem to do for people around here.

I think it'd be more like manager position.

3. sofnlo

sofnlo

Dec 29, 2004
    lex,ky
    maybe an application.

4. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Actually, you may be inline for a VP position.

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I did the same exact thing and got yelled at for taking commission away from the sales reps. Maybe they should've been in the damn showroom instead of bragging about their bands to each other.

6. the employees at this Guitar Center are the most worthless ive ever seen.

7. some are cool
    and some are posesmiths

Im just glad you got to help a bassist starting out on the right foot

8. i hope he sticks with it and doesnt have a really nice bass just collecting dust.

9. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Good Job Man

Cheers!

Thats a really nice first bass

10. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    I don't understand GC hate.

I've never spent long enough talking to employees there to develop a distaste. Just shop like a man! Do your homework, narrow your choices down to two or three items, go in and get in the isolated practice room (if available), and make up your mind. Pay for the item and leave.

It's a big box store. There's a downside to getting the best possible price, and that may be that you get a sales associate that knows nothing. Or you may get a real pro. Know this before you go in and you'll be fine.

11. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    I walk in, see an expensive bass I wanna try and am fully prepared to buy.
    I ask if I can plug into the SWR Baby Blue sitting on the floor (I own and am using one regularly at the time).
    The GC guy doesn't want me to use that amp 'cause it's an "acoustic upright" amp.
    I tell him it's actually designed as a studio reference monitor and it works fine with electric bass guitars.
    He argues.
    I tell him I own one and that's what I want to try this bass through.
    He continues lecturing me that it's an "acoustic upright" amp.
    I leave.
    I wouldn't say I hate GC but after a few cases like this I certainly have no use for them. Helping a newbie out saving him from employees like the above is good karma.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lol. I think it would have been way better if you had let him try both the jazz and the P to decide which neck type he liked better feel and playability wise. That is a major diff between them. But o well. He can allways trade it toward a slimmer neck P pup bass later if thats better neck type for him and wanting to stick with P pup/s. Lol.

13. This.

Plus, I think "Money" sounds just as good on a J as on a P. It's pretty hard to butcher that one regardless of what bass you choose.

14. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Let me fix this for you now. As soon as he starts arguing, ask him point blank "Do you work on commission?" If he says "Yes", then ask him "Then why are you blowing this sale?"

If he says "No," then ask him "Really? 'Cause you sure are acting like you are." Then walk away and let him contemplate what that statement means.

Either way, he will shut up and let you go about your business.

15. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'll explain why I hate GC. 1) No customer service 2) lack of product knowledge and an "I could care less" attitude by most employees. 3) Since they have run most mom and pop shops out of business they no longer want to discount 4) Inventory that is aimed at entry level buyers. 5) Allowing every idiot that walks in to beat the crap out of anything that might be worth buying. Should I go on?

I have been shopping at Grayson's Tune Town in Montrose, CA and guess what..they beat GC prices, have great customers service, carry top quality as well as lower level instruments, and they do not allow juveniles to beat up the merchandise. I would be willing to pay more for mom and pop shops to stay in business, but fortunately I don't have too.

16. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Yeah, that might work. My style is more to walk out without spending a dime....I'm just not that interested in taking dweeb salespeople to school. Saving a few bucks isn't worth it to me and I rarely go into big chain stores anymore.

17. my singer sold a guy on a few hundred dollars in cymbals onces at a sam ass. they offered him a job.

i do the same thing every time with guitars. you find the one clueless looking middle aged guy looking at a stack of cheap guitars and a line 6 combo.. clearly for his kid.

and for some reason, they always want to talk to me. im not a very approachable guy. sure.. 20 years old they think im hip enough to know whats up, but pierced up, scruffy, torn up clothes, apparently very negative body language.. normally someone they would hiss at haha.

the last time i was in a GC a few of them had a decent idea of what was going on. we had a discussion about how no one understands the baritone tuned schecter and keeps destroying strings.

but ive had just as many of them completely clueless. im a gear nerd.. i deserve to work there.

18. I really have no idea how knowledgeable the guys at my GC are. They generally don't bother anyone, so i've never had to say anything to them other than "Can I get an instrument cable?" to go try out an amp.

It's a good thing.

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    all of us in here would be better suited to work there then the kids they hire there. I was playing a fender j bass just kinda noodling. and my buddy whos there with me asked me what a humbucker was. and before i could say anything the sales associate trys to tell him that a fender j bass has humbuckers. i reply by pointing at the ernieball musicman and say it has single coils. why does guitar center hire idiots.

20. i thought you sold your p bass and got a whole guitar center in return. well never mind i just woke up :p