Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Think I Solved My Cab Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steers b-c, Sep 1, 2005.

1. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this will do the trick... :bassist: What do ya think?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What is it (obviously a Sunn, but I havn't ever seen that cab...)??? It looks like it would be awesome though. :bassist:

3. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas

I don't know the exact model, but I think it is in the SPL line. It is a 1x12 and 1x18 with a built in crossover. It was respeakered about 2 years ago with these from Pyle Audio:

PPA 12
    200 Watts RMS/700 Watt Peak
    Sensitivity (1W @ 1M): 90 dB
    Frequency Response: 35-4 KHz
    60 oz Magnet
    2'' Kapton Voice Coil
    Stamped Steel Basket
    Strong Black Paper Cone
    Cloth Edge Suspension
    Bumped & Vented Pole Piece
    8 Ohms Impedance

PPA 18
    300 Watts RMS/1000 Watt Peak
    Sensitivity (1W @ 1M): 94 dB
    Frequency Response: 25-3 KHz
    100 oz Magnet
    3'' Kapton Voice Coil
    Stamped Steel Basket
    Strong Black Paper Cone
    Cloth Edge Suspension
    Bumped & Vented Pole Piece
    8 Ohms Impedance

Best of all, total price is much less than just the cost of the two speakers. I'm getting the whole thing for $100. With this on the lows and my HLF on the highs, I should be good to go. :bassist:

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm going to recommend against it. My experience with Pyle has been horrendous. My guitarist got a Pyle for practice, and damn that thing just falls apart. Within 3 weeks the speaker blew.

5. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yikes! Well, I figure that even if I have to get my own speakers the cab itself is probably worth the $100...and then I can put whatever I want in it. What speakers would you recommend?

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    you should probably PM bgavin.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah, I suppose for $100 you can't go wrong. But remember that each speaker needs a cab designed for its specific needs. You can probabally get away with changing out the 15 easily, but you may need to mod the 12 chamber. For the 15, EVs are very awesome. I would recommend an Eminence (get a good model, I'm not too familiar with the names) for the 12.

8. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Well, it's an 18 and a 12. I've been told to check out JBL, but I'm not sure which speakers exactly would work out best.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A JBL would be good for the 18, that or an EV. However, I have noticed from playing through small custom made Eminence cabs that the smaller speakers are built better by them and Celestion rather than EV and JBL (but they also need better cab design than most 15s or 18s). 12s may be boarderline. On second thought, lots of people have been more than satisfied with Madison speakers. You can get em from steelsound.com.

10. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It looks like a very large, heavy, complex PA cab design with randomly selected speakers. I think by the time you replace all the speakers with whatever is supposed to be there (assuming you can determine that), you will have a $350 large, heavy, cab. The current drivers are not very sensitive.