Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I stripped my wood...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Mar 5, 2006.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    Well I've had my bass on all day, and have been playing with my band really at very loud volumes all day, and I came home and just started doodling on my practice amp. I start playing and notice my sound isn't as loud as it usually is on my practice amp, so I figure the batteries are low again. (I put new ones in on Feb. 19, and it's Mar. 5th..but I'm the guy with the battery hungry Cirrus 5 BXP) Anyway, so I put new ones in, and the volume is the same, so maybe I've just been used to loud music all day. Regardless, I was putting the screws back in the battery cover (I usually turn the screws 1 or 2 times to get them started) Well I may have accidentaly started wrong and like chipped or stripped the inside wood grain pattern for my screw. The screw will only go in lop-sided, and not straight. Looking closely, I can see the inside screw pattern disfigured and like scratched up. Umm...I don't know, but is there anyway to fix this problem...I'm guessing it's stripped. I'm not sure, but I really need to screw this screw in, because I don't want my batteries falling out! Any help...just a wood question. Thanks!

Mark

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

since its not a major screw, you could just fill the hole with wood filler, let it dry and drill a new hole.

3. Please turn it down or get some ear plugs. Even cheapies will be better than nothing but they also make some that have a fairly flat response so you can hear everythng - just quieter.

I have some damage to one ear and I am luckier than some people I know.

Peace,
    S

4. Buy some matches...tear one into strips...put inside the hole...screw in the screw straight - PROBLEM SOLVED!

5. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    Toothpicks will work too

6. yeah...and toothpicks so I've heard

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Toothpicks work really good, I've also seen people fill stripped strap button screw holes with a mix of baking powder and superglue.

Is this a screw hole/screw that has a threaded brass or steel insert set in the wood of the bass, if so you could replace it, check with your larger fastner companies. getting the insert could be a little tricky but not impossible.

+ 1 on the earplugs ,they are not just for sissies, I am 38 and am already tired of asking people to repeat themselves as I have loss bad enough that certain words sound like other words and in a crowd or noisey enviroment I have a hard time understanding people. It really sucks!

8. I think I stripped my wood...

man that's gotta hurt. you gotta know when to stop! when it starts to sting, you gotta give it a rest.

9. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    This topic just wouldn't have been complete without someone adding that. :p

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I just repaired some stripped pickguard screwholes by filling the holes with mixture of sawdust and wood glue. Worked pretty well, actually.

11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    One of those bastirds must have done that to my Climax. I spend hours trying to get the old strap button off so I could put strap locks on it. I ended up cutting and grinding everything flush with the horn and drilling a new hole for the strap lock. No one will ever know unless they remove the strap lock button.

Dave

12. since the question has been answered.....

damn, i was goin for the whole 'stripped wood' joke, but i got beat to it...

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    *butt-head voice on* huh, huh. he said climax, hu hu hu *butt-head voice off*