Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Think I Want To Buy A PA System And Use It As A Bass Amp. Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Dec 23, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    so i was thinking the other day that maybe instead of buying a bass amp i could buy a less expensive PA package from an internet retailer or something. anybody have experience with this? does it sound good? is it a reasonable purchase as opposed to a bass amp? is it just stupid? it will also be used in a semi band situation (just me and a guitarist). i found this package and i was wondering what you guys would think of it as a bass amp.

http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=106475

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    NO NO NO!!!

That PA system has neither the headroom nor bottom end to do justice to bass. You'd be better off getting a dedicated bass amp.

Alex

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. If you've ever played through one of those small vocal PA's you'll realise just how lacking they are compared to a dedicated bass amp.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know this isn't _exactly_ what the poster asked, but i would suggest checking out pa subs for the low frequency reinforcement for those of us who bi-amp. there are options available that are less expensive than dedicated bass guitar sub cabs that work every bit as well, if not better.

otherwise i would agree - a small p.a. like the one you gave a link to is going to have a hard time reproducing the bass frequencies in any kind of pleasing manner.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    we have that exact same PA at the rock society at my Uni. it SUCKS for bass/ great for distored guitars, SUUUUUUUUCKS for bass