I Think i want to try for a build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by werbo1, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Only problem is i have no clue what to do. I saw a book on Stewmac.com an was wondering if it would be worth it to try to build a bass just for the hell of it. All in all, is it something a sixteen year old who has basically no woodworking experience can do? Also, what tools would i need, i don't have any so I might have to work at the school.
  2. werbo, if you buy martin hyscock's book or martin koch's book (both available on stewmac.com) you will get all the information you will ever need.

The greatest piece of advice I've ever gotten with regards to woodworking is: TEST ON SCRAP FIRST!
  3. what about the waring and raymond book....how to build your own electric guitar or bass

also, is it worth it to build your own? I think i would go for a sixer just to have one, but if not i'd go for a four
  4. It's like learning any other skilled craft. You will have to exhibit a certain amount of seriousness, devotion, and spend some time on laying the essential groundwork. How successful you are on your first attempt will depend entirely how quickly you pick things up. I've seen some first builds over on the MIMF (www.mimf.com) that could have been mistaken for journeyman built instruments. In your case, the path will be uphill for awhile because you will be taking in basic woodworking as well as learning about the instrument. Up in "Setup" a suggestion was made to purchase one of the Saga kits and build that. That is an excellent idea - almost perfect - especially for someone in your position. Many of the essential basics I mentioned above could be gained from building a kit.
  5. okay sweet...maybe i'll try a kit, maybe not. When i said i didn't have woodworking skills, I kinda lied. I took technology two years ago and made some sweet stuff - a dragster, a sconce, and a box
  6. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'd go the kit route, or find a pre-shaped and unfinished body, neck, etc. and work from there.
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I'd go the full route: everything from scratch!

With the help of Martin Koch ('s book) it's nice chunk of cake.

NOTE: I'm not pulling any leg here. I found it very easy to work that way, on a kitchen table, with less experience than tools, or vice versa, etc. Just one thing: patience, in heaps!
  8. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'm working on my first build, too. Sometimes, I wish I had gone the kit route. I live in an apartment and my bedroom is now my workshop -- I've got sawdust everywhere and I don't think the neighbors like me, but the thing I love about doing this from scratch is that your only limit is your own imagination... and maybe your pocket book.