Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i think i was "set up"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Sep 10, 2001.

1. when i purchased my bass, the salesman tried to get me into a $50 maintenance agreement. he said it would pay for up to 4 set ups. i asked how often that should be done and he says 4 times per year (season changes) this seems rather excessive. how often do you have you bass set up? what does a set up get you? i had problems with open E string fret rattle that i corrected myself with a 1/4 turn truss rod adjustment, (mia jazz) and have been adjusting my action the way i like it. when i check the intonation at the 12th fret (using a chromatic tuner) they all read slightly sharped. how much varience is acceptable or do you always move your saddles until intonation is exactly dead on. i guess that sounds stupid, but i just wonder how critical you all are about it.

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You should adjust the intontation yourself cuz its pretty easy. It may have gone out when you made your truss rod adjustment. If everything is sharp at the 12th, it means you have to lengthen the string by using your bridge saddle adjusters and adjusting it so it moves away from the neck. Make it a litle bit longer, then retune the string (the string should go slightly out of tune) and check it at the 12th again. Rinse lather repeat. You move it the other way (make the string smaller) if it's flat. I hope I don't have this backwards, I always reverse it even though I just did it yesterday...

3. The fender setup guide gives a tolerance of less than 1% on intonation. The guide can be found at:

http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/basssetup.html

By the way.....

IM BACK!!!!!! :D:D:D

(been a long summer full of crazy gigs, broken fingers, hospital visits, dead friends, lost jobs, unemployment, etc...)

FF

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I never screw with the intonation or anything else for that matter. I change the strings when they sound like they need it. Don't know if it's luck, stupidity, laziness or what but my basses seem to stay, as the saying goes, "close enough for rock n' roll."

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    My test is to play a couple of octaves (both notes together) above the 12th fret. If you can hear noticeable wavering or 'out of tune-ness', you probably want to intonate it. I can usually hear that wavering sound even when a tuner says it's just a touch sharp or flat. Most people probably can, although if its really close the only time your audience would notice is in a quiet passage or if you are playing chords.

That said, it takes less time to intonate my bass than it does to change the strings so there's really not a lot of reason to just letting it go...

6. 4 times a year? i have only had my bass setup once or twice and i have had it two years. Do people actually set their basses up this much? I figured, if you are happy with it and it is staying consistent, then leave it.

I got my uncle to look at my bass to tweak it and he told me to leave it cause it was pretty close to perfect.

Merls

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, welcome back :D. do tell of all these experiences.

8. ...yeah just a normal summer right! :rolleyes:

:p

Merls

9. k,k, I'm telling.

Been gigging pretty steadily all summer, averaging 4-5 a week. It's been incredibly tiring, and though the faces in the crowd change, the requests don't. Had one night where the guitarist got in a car accident on the way to the gig. Frantically searched for another guitarist, couldn't find one. Managed to find a bass player though. I ended up singing and playing guitar all night. Ick.

Also been renovating the house when I can find a spare moment. Smashed my left index finger with a hammer and broke it. Just badly enough that it hurt like hell to play, but not so bad that I couldn't.

The reason I've been gigging so much is because the small, highly energetic and profitable company I worked for got bought by a large multinational comglomeration, which promply let us all go.

Did some freelance work through the summer too, though one of the projects disappeared off the face of the earth in the middle.

More or less my summer, anyway :D

FF

10. When I get *real* bored, Ill set-up my basses, clean them, the whole bit. Im lazy though, so it's been sitting unchanged for a little bit now, but like someone else said "good enough for Rock 'n Roll"

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, cool. thanks for the story :D.