1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i think i'm bored with bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by decemberflower, Jan 3, 2007.

1. decemberflower

decemberflower

Jan 3, 2007
    i've been playing bass for 6 years, kind of on and off not too serious about it but i play and i consider myself pretty good.

the thing is i think i'm getting bored of it, i listen to mostly metal and the kind i listen to the bass just sort of follows along playing root notes, its just so boring, i find myself playing along with the lead guitar most of the time, i hate playing the bass parts and rarely changing notes or rhythm, playing stuff that doesnt even sound like the song.

i dont know, probably just the kind of music i listen to, what do you guys think, i'm thinking about buying a guitar

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If you feel like playing guitar, go for it. No reason to refrain.

3. are you playing with others?

4. MattD

MattD

Jan 2, 2007
    S.W UK
    What's the harm with playing guitar as well!? Just do it.You'll love it and after a break you'll probably enjoy bass more as well :bassist:

5. Afrokid

Afrokid

Nov 24, 2006
    its def the kind of music u listen to...metal just doesn't have good basslines..or they get so buried in the mix u cant hear them..expand your horizons and u will learn to love bass again....learn day of the baphomets by The Mars Volta...

6. decemberflower

decemberflower

Jan 3, 2007
    ya i'm not playing with others, and i kinda figured it was the music i listen to, i've been trying to listen to other stuff but i really don't like anything near as much as what i listen to, and playing the leads on my bass almost defeats the purpose

i guess i will buy a guitar and try to switch back and forth

7. i felt the same way you did about a year ago after about a year of not playing with anyone and then a few months ago i started playing with some new people and i can't put my bass down. i think playing with others is a really different experience than playing alone in your bedroom to the same recordings everyday. but if you are currently playing with people i don't know what to tell you.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Download some old R&B, funk, Motown. Work on playing those lines and feeling the groove. If you are still bored after that, you definately should play the guitar. Good luck. Hope you find the instrument that fits you

Rob

9. i dont think i could play bass without playing with others, ive been playing almost 3 years now, and ive been playing with others the whole time, 6 years on your own, that must be so boring!

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Good suggestion. I like listening to Metal but I would never want to play the bass lines. Besides, there is nothing wrong with playing guitar. Some of my best friends play guitar. ;)

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Pick up a few great fusion records, that will reignite your love.

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea. I'm not knocking the guitar. My sister is a wonderful guitarist and my best friend and bandmate is, also. Just saying a guitar might be more suited for you.

Bass, although on the surface seems very similar to guitar, is not the same instrument by any means. Its the bridge between the melody and the rhythm. Open your ears to other types of music. Your boredom may sore away and you may become re-energized.

Good Luck

Rob

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    1) Things that seem boring to play by yourself in your room can be a lot of fun to actually *play.* I'm happier than I've ever been in my musical career right now, and I'm putting the majority of my time into my metal band where a lot of the time I am doubling riffs with the guitar player or outlining more complex lines. If the song rocks hard enough, I don't have any problems being the blocker and not the running back. :) If you're pretty good, why don't you try to get a group together?

2) There are plenty of cool bass lines in metal. What kind of stuff are you listening to?

3) There are plenty of cool bass lines outside of metal! What kind of non-metal stuff are you listening to?

4) There's nothing wrong with buying a guitar. I have two :ninja: AND I feel like knowing guitar better has helped me as a bassist.

14. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  15. I don't know if you will like this kind of metal, but here are two thrash metal bands with very audible basslines:

www.myspace.com/absurd2
    http://www.myspace.com/officialtwistedintoform

You might want to give them a try.
    There is nothing wrong with getting a guitar either, there have been times where I get tired of bass and play guitar only for a couple weeks.

16. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I don't see how Metal Basists even want to play bass.. First of all you can hardly ever hear the bass and most of the time the bass just follows the Guitar. If it doesn't well it didn't matter since you couldn't hear it anyways.

17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Hey Spencer, ever heard of Iron Maiden? Take a listen

Rob

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I'll take some sweet unison riffs over 20 minutes of I-IV noodling any day. :p

19. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    You need to listen to some different Metal. Here are a couple of suggestions which should keep you entertained for a long time

Atheist

Cynic

Tony Choy and Sean Malone are anything but repetative or guitar riff repeaters, they'll show you the way to play great bass in a Metal context.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Heck, even a lot of it is just doubling guitar parts, check out some Dillinger Escape Plan. There is a ton of seriously complex stuff going on in there.

Also Death has some good bass lines, and MASTODON.