Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I'm cursed

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ADbassman, Feb 26, 2005.

1. It seems like everytime I play a show I have some stupid mistake. Our first show my band played, I forgot to tune back up from D, and I did it mid song (Big mistake). It didn't sound pretty.

This show last night, my guitarist and I were messing around with a solo at low volume before the show at practice, so we had our guitars turned down low. When I got to the show, I forgot I had it set that way. I keep thinking "Wow, my amp sounds really quiet tonight, whats up", then I turn the volume knob on my bass and BOOM! I had been conpensating for the low volume by turning my amp up, so when I turned the bass volume up, it was loud. I turned it down a bit and finished the set in bassy glory.

All these are just dumb mistakes though. I'm going to make up a saftely list to go through before every set now. Anybody esle made some stupid mistakes?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, more than I count with my finger and toes. :D

That's all part of the "learning process".

The good thing about "jam sessions" is, that you can make mistakes like that, and it won't cost you a gig.

Once you get to the pro level, that stuff can be deadly.

I highly recommend jam sessions! :)

3. The stupidest thing i ever did was borrow my friends 6 string for a show. I had never played a sixer (or even a 5er) before and it was catastrophic! I kept hitting wrong strings and all that jazz, i regret it to this day... (it was only friday!)

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I stick to ONE volume control(my pedalboard) after the gear is all set up. Less errors that way.

As far as tuning on the fly, my guitar player ripped into a tune that requires me to drop to D so I had to do it during the tune. I did do it but the first 30 seconds or so wasn't fun for me.

I am not blaming the guitar player on that, but stress sucks.

5. Count_Bassy

Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    That's guitarists for ya... :spit:

6. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Everyone :D If they tell you they've never made a stupid mistake, they're lying, and that's a stupid mistake...

The important thing is to learn from them. The more you gig, the more stupid mistakes will happen, and you'll be better prepared for a wide range of screw-ups in the future. You'll get into a routine for gigs; things to remember to bring with you, yhings to check when you can't here your bass, that song with the funny tuning, the one right after it with the normal tuning, the sudden stop in the middle of another, remembering to tell the drummer about the gig, checking with the venue it's still on if the booking was made a while ago - that kind of thing.

And even then, you'll still have the occasional freak occurance that reminds you that no matter how prepared you are, things can still go wrong and it's how you cope with it that matters. Last one for me was trouble with one of the support band. I'd gone out for food after soundchecking and when I returned to the venue (basement of a pub), there were a load of kids getting turned away. "That's odd - this place doesn't usually get under-agers", I thought as I went in. On my way to the basement, I walked past the office, where the sound guy and promoter were talking to the other band. "Heh - they look like naughty schoolboys." When I got to the basement, everyone's sitting around looking unhappy. It was at that point that my brain finally kicked in and made the connection...

Turns out that the support band hadn't mentioned that they were under-age and so were their fans, and no one had told them the venue was over-18s (although it's common knowledge). Hard to blame anyone for it, but it's been added to the list of things to remember to do before the gig...

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    First show I played I forgot all of the words. I think I'd rather be a bit too loud that have to make up stuff off the top of my head.

8. i left my bass at a gig once.
    The venue was an hour away from my house. We got back at about 3 am when my guitar player dropped me off we had to shift through some of the gear to get to where my bass would be. Then much to my dismay i realized i left my bass on stage behind the drum platform.
    I called up the venue the next day and they said they had it. So someone who knew someone who knew my guitar player picked it up and passed it along untill it finally made it back to me. I was pretty upset when i relized i left the bass but at the same time i was hoping it was lost forever because then i would have an excuse to go out and buy a better bass ;)

9. Dirklancepwnsyo

Dirklancepwnsyo

Mar 1, 2005
    The same thing happened to me. I had a Fender Mexican Jazz and I left it at a gig. But when I called them back they didnt have it. After about a month I decided that it was gone forever. It really sucks losing a bass. However I got a really good deal on an American Deluxe to replace it and that made up for it.

10. mine was a mexi-fender jazz too! as it turns out though, 2 months later i ended up with an excuse to buy a better bass anyway: A 5 string Spector Euro-neckthrough for $600! nowadays my fender is at my girlfriends house cause she decided she was gonna play bass

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Most embarassing bass blunder that I can remember offhand (I'm sure there are many others): Playing an acoustic set and doing a ballad, and while the last quiet note was ringing out, pulling my hand away and accidentally flicking all four strings at once, Claypool style.

Most embarassing drum blunder, no thought required: I was jamming with some friends at my house and a girl I liked tagged along with her friend. In between songs, the friend asked if I ever hit myself with the sticks, to which I replied "of course not" and then proceeded to do exactly that (in the face no less) as we started playing again. Thankfully the friend didn't bring it up at the reception when the girl and I were married. :)

12. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    :p :p I have never made a stupid mistake. They just show up by themselves. :spit: :spit:

My favorite mistake: I was a senior in high school trying to learn the field show for the local college's home comming, in one rehearsal (music, new marching style, the whole nine). During the halftime show, the band marches forward and hangs a left - I go right into an empty field all by myself. Although it seemed really awfull at the time, a big old shiny sousaphone going off into the horizon (in front of thousands of people), they got a really big kick out of it. I ended up going there the next year. The director put a tuba solo in the show where it looked like I hit a wrong turn, then run to two different spots on the field to finish the solo. It ws a blast.