I think I'm done with Bass Player magazine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 20, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm sad. I wait every month for my B.P. magazine, and I keep getting more and more dissapointed. Is it just me or have they really gone insane with the advertising? All I see are ads, and if it's not an ad, it's a gear review which seems like an ad anyhow, or a short article on the gear a certain bass player uses. Have I just outgrown the magazine? Have they run out of useful information to print? Does the magazine seem to be going downhill bigtime? Do others feel the same way I do?

I don't even see JT turn up in the letters anymore?!?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like BP. I like GC. I drive an SUV. My wife drives an SUV. I like 4-wheel drive. So shut up.
  3. I think I´m also done...

I just recieved a letter about having to renew my subscription.. (they better send those 3 mags. that I´ve yet to recieve until my sub. wears out!).. and I don´t think I´ll renew...

I hardly find anything useful in this magazine anymore.. there are some good interviews, but not enough to keep paying for it... (although I really like the "getting to first bass" on the last page :) )

and I NEVER recieve my mags. on time.. I don´t know whether it´s BP´s fault or the icelandic post office, but I never get it on time.. I got march 3 weeks ago, and then april 2 weeks ago... and before that I there had been 2 months since I got feb... and I never recieved my Jan. issue.. I got didn´t get my first issue, sent them an e-mail... got two, got two of the next issue also... had to wait for months, got my next issue...

it´s simply just not worth it! :mad:

but of course, that´s just my opinion....

so to answer your question Joe, yes, I also think BP has gone downhill.
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, all I can say is be grateful that you've got a magazine devoted to bass playing. In England, we used to have Bassist, but it folded a while ago. I only ever bought one issue - about 50 pages long, and the first sentence I read in it was something along the lines of "Nicky Wire is possibly one of the best rock bassists of the last twenty years...". Suffice to say, I realised then that it wouldn't satisfy my requirements. :rolleyes:
  5. oh yeah?

I picked up bassplayer, opened it and saw a tab for a christina aguilera song....
  6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
  7. Oh yea! Well I opened one up, and lo' and behold, there was the tab I've always wanted! "Stank ass hoes and crack-wasted bitches" by the Red Genuine Miskital.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    maybe i need to write more letters to them, so that joe will keep his subscription :D
  9. Dear BP,

Just to reiterate, tabs suck.

Sincerely, John Turner.
  10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I wonder if the Internet has hurt specialty magazines because you can get most of everything that something like BP has to offer on the net.

As far as disappointment in magazines: Rolling Stone. Blech. I think it went way off track as soon as it started dabbling in fashion.

Mis dos centavos.
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think that BP is a GREAT bathroom mag. I keep about a dozen in the cabinets in each bathroom... Whenever I'm 'resting' for a significant amount of time, out comes a BP. I kinda think they're like a Reader's digest in that a few months down the road, you can re-read an interesting article and pull something new out of it... YMMV

12. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I outgrew Bass Player magazine long ago. But I do admit when it first came out I learned alot from it. Mostly gear related stuff. Hey there was a time that I didn't know the difference between a speaker cable and a shielded guitar cable. I think it was a much better magazine when it only came out 4 times a year. I kept my subscription for awhile after I felt I had outgrown it just because I had been with it from the beginning. One day it came and I was reading an article that David Hungate wrote where he made a statement about Rush Limbaugh listeners not being very intelligent. That pretty much made my decision for me to drop the mag. Gee David your a freekin' COUNTRY bass player not a rocket scientist exactly yourself. I've seen him on TV a couple of times since then with his sourpuss face acting like he's having no fun playing. When I buy a magazine about bass I want to read about Bass not someone political views be they left or right.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I agreed with the first TWO sentences of your post, but then I realized that you were going in a different direction than I might have.
  14. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    (Wiping recycled lunch off my chin...) Ummm - yeah, this last issue (with Marcus Miller in it) was the most useful one I've received in the past 6-7 months I've been getting it. Other than that, I'm quite disappointed in it. They could do so much more, but they just don't. I will likely not renew. Between the many ads, most of the articles on equipment seem like yet more ads. The main thrust of it seems to be to sell more stuff. Unfortunately, some people seem to fall for that hard sell. I find most commercial magazines are basically marketing arms for industry - they get people drooling about buying stuff for their favorite hobbies (whatever it may be - there's a magazine for it) and to spend more money in an attempt to satisfy an unquenchable thirst for more and "better". It's consumerism gone crazy. Blechh. End of rant.
    - Mike
  15. Joe Nerve, I'm glad you posted that. I thought it was just me. I share all your sentiments regarding BP, and dropped my sub a couple of years back. I still give it a flick thru once in a while in a book store, but I wont buy one anymore.
  16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've been a subscriber since it's inception and also sub to Guitar Player since the early '80s. Bass Player has gotten pretty useless (except for the bathroom idea), especially if you look at the amount of info guitar players get every month in GP. I'm finally to the point where I'm completely happy with my gear and not really looking for anything more. I'm also not really interested in what's being done by most of the bassists they profile, so the thing has little value. I actually find the letters more interesting than anything else, and I can get all that on Talkbass. I imagine I won't re-sub. I also suspect they've been fleecing me on my sub for years by sending the "annual sub notice" every 9 months or so. My fault for not really paying attention, but not sound customer service nonetheless. Speaking of customer service, theirs is pretty abysmal.
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, exactly. thanks. just send that off :D
  18. I stopped liking that magazine around the time they stopped grading albums in the "Reviews" section and started blowing smoke up everyone's a$$es instead.
  19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, why I just resubscribed to another three years is that there are occassioanlly excellent cover stories and a few interesting articles about important, to me, bassists. The workshops offer something worthwhile once in awhile also. I wish I could get to the point that I felt it no longer offered me anything of value, but maybe that willnever happen.

I ignore their CD reviews, because music is so much a matter of taste. I've been burned more than once buying CDS they praised to the skies and I disliked.

I still longingly read about new bass equipment, though I have probably made my last major equipment purchases. Even though I won't buy such gear, it is nice to know what new advances are taking place...if any.

It is true, however, that Guitar Player has had far better issues all along, thicker, more compelling, more informative, etc. Bass Player has always seemed to be the "poor relative."