Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I'm finally starting to get it!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I was listening to some higher register fretless stuff tonight (actually, urb_munki's version of Speak) and was just funking around in the higher registers. Now, I've been interested in solo composition for about 2 years now and full-band composition for the last three months, and I've noticed my ears are getting "bigger" (eg, I'm more able to listen and react to and with the rhythm AND the soloist now), but as I was playing these two particular voicings (Bmaj7 with the root, third, and seventh, and then a C#m7 with the root, fifth, and seventh) back and forth I could finally hear it all going at once. The chords being comped on a guitar, a syncopated low-tempo walking bass line (skipping bass line?), brush sticks on the drums with the groove coming from the cymbals, and a trumpet playing over top.

*after initial excitement, and writing the post above, I now have a solid 16 bar progression :D*

Anyone else enjoy having a go at full-band composition?