Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I'm gettin pissed at DEAN.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I ordered a natural finish Pace Bass a few weeks ago which was due to arrive 6/3/05. That got pushed up to 6/10. I waited patiently even though I could have really used the bass before (I have my last 2 shows this week with the gig I pruchased the bass for - then the woman takes off for the summer). 6/10 has now passed and the bass isn't in stock. Today I go to check it out again and it's been changed to 12/15/05. That's just plain irresponsible. And the place I ordered it at doesn't even have any of the other colors in stock right now.

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    December!!!!!??? That´s crazy man!!!! If I were you, I´ll call them and ask to get my money back (if you already paid for it, of course).

3. Sorry, but to me, that's way too long to wait for a Dean. This isn't a custom Alembic you're talking about here. They should be available.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, time to cancel. There's plenty of other great stuff out there sans-jackassery.

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    If it weren't the ONLY affordable EUB presently on the market I WOULD cancel. For anyone who doesn't know, it's an electric upright bass that's easily $1000 less than any other one on the market.

This is also strike 2 with DEAN as I emailed them with questions on buzzing complaints that several people had (forwarded them posts and emails from people who had problems), and while they got back to me regarding it, they claimed they never heard of any such problems. That wasn't really a satisfactory response in my opinion since I sent them the eviedence and when I wrote back they never got back to me. I'm looking for trouble here - aren't I. :)

I'm waiting for someone from another thread to come by and say, "Joe. You seema bit bitter about this." :D I'm praying for DEAN.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Joe,

You seem bitter about this. :D

-robert

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... wonder why it costs $1,000 less?

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Where did you order it from? Musician's Friend?

If so, why aren't you mad at them? They are the ones who gave you the availability, not Dean.

Manufacturing delays happen--especially on a new product built overseas. I remember when Dude had to wait 2 months for a shipment of basses to be taken off ships from China.

It sucks to wait on a new bass, but it's a budget bass. They aren't made to order, and they aren't shipped from the factory one at a time.

As for them saying they have not having heard of a buzzing problem, well, again, it is a new product. Perhaps they really hadn't heard of the problem.

I'm certainly not trying to appear like a Dean Apologist, but it isn't always as simple as A-->B-->C.

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    +1 I've been waiting for a Dean bass for awhile. They
    want to sell me the bass, they are waiting till the quality is
    back up to expectations. Dean is really making a push up to
    more quality instruments. I can wait. The culprit is the retailer.

10. I'd be disappointed about the wait, but if its the bass you really want, and the price is that far below the competition, you should just wait. Do you really want to pay $1000 more for another bass just to get it now?

Cheap. Good. Fast. Pick any 2, cause you can't ever get all three.

Randy

11. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    those dean uprights are avialable on the cheap everywhere..why don't you just take cancel the order..then look around for another one and if you cant find another one just place the order again...Your going to have to wait for six months as it is...you might as well be ready for the purchase if you find one....

12. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    ha ha ha- one of my tv production professors has that on his door. how true it is...

joe- this situation sucks, but i doubt dean is happy about it either- they ain't making any money by not having product to sell. sadly, manufacturing delays do happen, and especially when they're manufactured halfway around the world, it can get out of hand. i understand you're being pissed, but sadly i doubt there's much you can do about it, except cancel and come back later (if you still want it). i too would fault the retailer- those are supposed to be expected dates of availability (provided there's no problems, tropical stomrs, shipping strikes, etc.). :bassist:

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They had one down at Manys on 48th street that i played and it was pretty awesome, great value.I hope it works out for you Joe.

14. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    At this point it would be easyer and more cost effective to build your own. Also the Dean is nowhere near a real upright bass in feal or sound. It's basically a fretless bass guitar with most of the body cut away and some drum hardware on the back so you can play it like an upright. If you're going for an accurate upright soud and feel then stay away but if you just need something that's different from an electric bass and slightly uprighy then you could use the dean.

15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I completely disagree that the culprit is the retailer. Every online store that sells this particular bass has been stating the same arrival dates, and they've all been changing at the same time. Sorry, but I have to blame DEAN if they switch from 6/3 to 6/10 and then suddenly to 12/15 . That's a freaking 6 month jump. They didn't see it coming? It seems a little irresponsible at the very least.

In regards to the buzzing problem - as I stated, I emailed them the accounts. Bovinehost even sent his back with a buzzing problem. They received, read and responded to my emails claiming they never heard of any such problems. I dunno. Seems a lot like a denial to me. If it were my company I think I may have written something to the effect of, "This is the first I'm hearing of anything like this. I assure you there won't be any electrical buzzing problems if you purchase the bass. If there are we will promptly replace it." Common freaking business sense. No? They simply denied it and ignored my followup email.

Lastly - I extensively reasearched the bass. I know what I'm buying. I know it doesn't sound like a DB. It suits my purposes perfectly and the price is right.

Now let me be bitter and leave me alone all you DEAN supporters!

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeay it deffinetly sounded more like a fretless then an upright

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1
    I played one of these at NAMM and was not that impressed. I'd rather have a used Azola or NS... even for a bit more money.

These are examples of what I meant by other stuff out there. Yeah, EUB's are a bit harder to find, but not impossible, and I'm a HUGE fan of buying mint/used whenever possible. You can save big and end up at a higher quality level.

Also, I seem to be seeing a common thread here regarding poor quality control AND customer service. In this case, IMHO, 1 + 1 = 3 strikes you're out.

If it were me, I'd cancel and move on... even if it meant I had to save up some more money and/or wait longer (which you have to do anyway at this point).

I have a very low tolerance for poor quality and/or service, and a great loyalty to those who provide good q &/or cs. Works real well for me.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can get an Ergo EUB for around the price of a Dean or maybe a hundred or two more, and it'll be far more of an EUB than the Dean, which has a normal electric bass scale length and an uncurved bridge, so it's not really bowable. Tge Dean is pretty much a fretless electric bass on a stick.

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'd love if you could get me a link to a place that sells them. :)

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He sells direct. Maybe he has a dealer or two at this point-I'm not sure. $700 for a new four-string.
    http://www.ergoinstruments.com/index.html