I think I'm going all Flats!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ProfGumby, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I guess the title says most of what I wanted to convey..

I have a set of Rotosound 77's on my SX P bass and love the sound, but think I dislike the tension. They sound fantastic though.

Today I put a set of DR flats on my Natural ash SX Jazz and, well....WOW! I love these strings! They definately sound fantastic, feel better to my hands and feel like a little lower tension than the Roto's.

I think I will string my 5 er with flats eventually too. My Geddy clone may get half rounds or something a little brighter sounding for a flatwound.

I want to try a few different strings to see what I like best, I'd hate to say the DR's are the one, but like them alot right now.

Any of you have all flats on all basses? And if so all the same brand?

2. I've got flats on all but my Ric basses -- Fender 9050MLs on my 57 P and Rogue viola, La Bella 760FLs on my 59 P and SX fiver, D'Addario Chromes (.050-.105) on/off several, Rotosounds on an SX P, and TIs on my jazz fretless.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I only have one bass and I have Fender 9050ML's on it. The last 4 or 5 basses I've had all had flats, usually Labella 760FS's. I don't think I could ever go back to playing rounds.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Thanks for the replies!

I also have the rotosound 77's on my P bass, love the tone!

I think I am going to try D'Addario Chromes on the Geddy Clone. I am intrigued by the claims of being brighter sounding for a flat, well that or half rounds on that one.

I really also have to look into Labella or TI, though I am not intrigued by the thought of 60 bucks for a 5 string set....

I figure, I am not endorsed by anyone so I will put on and try what I like....

Thanks again.

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Were did you get the DR flats??? Says coming soon on their website....?

6. daystcity

daystcity

Mar 23, 2008
    Where am I?!?!?
    do you mean dr chromes?

edit: oh, nevermind:rolleyes:

7. jw319901

jw319901

Jan 29, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, I also saw the coming soon for the DR flats, not available at guitar center.com yet? I really my sunbeams, but I want to try out flats and would like to stick with DRs.

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    D'Addario Chromes are great.

9. O man so i just took the D'Addario Phosphor bronze acoustic strings off of my Fender BG-31 and replaced them with some Chromes i had lying around. I haven't played my Ibanez (strung w/ Ernie Ball Heavy Slinkys) since!! I think i've gone flat-out crazy :hyper: :D

10. Just to answer a question above, I got my DR High Beam Flats at the Perfect Bass. I now have them on my Modulus VJ and ESP as well.

11. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I have Fender flats on all my basses, except for the Geddy I got this weekend, and I'm changing it over soon.

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Big String, I had the local shop order them for me. I get all my strings, bridges, picks and the like from him....

As to the DR's on the Jazz bass I feel like asking, "Where have you been all my life?" every time I play it now! The sound is killer!

As an aside, on Friday I told a bass and guitar(ug) playing buddy of mine I was probably going to go to all flatwounds, he looked at me like I just grew a second nose out of the side of my head!

I guess flat wounds are only for us really hot and tragically cool people......
    :D

Edit - I see James Hill got his from TPB...I think I just found a new source for the strings....The Perfect Bass gives a Talk Bass discount on most things.... (don't ask me, ask James or Brant)

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'm going all rounds now. lol.

14. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Not to rain on your parade, but I've heard that DRs in general sound good at first, but quickly go dead. (Maybe this is good for flats?)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, dead is good for flats IMHO. That's why I never liked TI's. Takes them forever to go dead.

Anyway, I have them on two of my basses. I'm a rounds guy and I'd never have flats on all of them, but they're cool.

16. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i am an all-flats user. i have the heavy chromes (.50-.105) on a p-bass and lakland's flats (i am told they are ghs precisions) on my 55-02. i just got a set of labella dt's to try. i can't wait. i can't deal with the squeak of rounds.

i have a set of DA half-rounds on a bass i don't play anymore. they are a good in-between in my opinion, but it takes a week or two to smooth out the edges. they are filed down from round, but rough and grabby till you wear them in. roundish sound with no squeak.

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Do it! I have Flats on all 3 of my basses and love em.

George

18. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    EB flats on the P and fretless
    Still using rounds on the J

19. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Cool
    I'm going to try some DR Flats.
    Just ordered some from The Perfect Bass.
    Thanks for the tip.

20. Me too!! I have Chromes on my Fender BG-31 Acoustic and Squier Affinity Jazz V and I've never looked back!!!