1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think i'm going to attempt the impossible- record an album with my iphone!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by runmikeyrun, Mar 22, 2013.

1. I'm utilizing an iPhone 4, 6 ch mixer, 2 input interface (Tascam iU2) and Multitrack DAW software, along with Audiobus and JamUp for the heck of it, although I probably will not use them. I have a good A-T condenser mic, a few AKG all purpose mics, and an SM58. I'm going to borrow a D112 and SM57 from a friend. I also have a Presonus studio channel and a noise gate to use when recording the the kick drum and vox, and whatever else I might need to use it for if I can't get good bass/guitar tone from the mixer and mic placement.

I know this isn't the ideal way to do it, but I was going to use the mixer to get a good balanced live drum mix, and shoot that to one channel while recording scratch guitar/bass with the other channel. Then track my bass, guitar, and vocal tracks after that on separate takes/tracks. I'll run two mics on guitar and one on bass/one direct when recording those instruments.

It's not gonna be perfect, but it beats the alternative (paying tons of money, or having a buddy do it for cheap and not having control) and I should hopefully get a decent sounding record. I do have experience recording so I think I can pull this off.

Thoughts? I don't look at it as a possible disaster or waste of time, but a fun way to play with some toys :)

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sound totally possible. The iphone is as good as a PC was just a few years ago.

Back when cassette tape was around, some bands recorded whole albums on 4 tracks. And it wasn't just bands who couldn't afford studio time. They just wanted to.

The iPhone digital is as good as any digital. With an audio interface on an iPhone you can do 4 channels. Once things are in the digital domain, you can bounce things around and add effects with the same low degradation as any digital DAW. For the best leveraging, get the analog into digital and keep it there for more of the DAW work.
    Get apps talking to each other in the digital domain with audiobus
    http://audiob.us/

Look forward to your results.

3. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Given how powerful technology is, I'd say go for it. Even if it doesn't turn out perfect it would be great to try as an experiment. Post what you do and your findings somewhere, I'm sure there are other people out there who would be interested.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That is awesome!

5. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
  6. Document the results, and send the promo pack to Apple. Who knows, they might use you in one of their promotional blurbs. Better use Garageband for your DAW...

7. I heard somewhere that Gorillaz's last album was entirely recorded on iPads.

8. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    Why would it be impossible to record an album on a computer with a dual-core processor, 512 to 1024 MB of RAM, and gigabytes of flash storage?

A few years ago, I would have killed for a system like that for digital recording! :)

9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
  10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    How's it going?

11. Indeed it was! Sounded pretty good considering.

12. IK Obi

IK Obi

Apr 4, 2011
  13. MPL

MPL

May 5, 2013
  14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's explained in the OP.

You might be surprised how good some of the iOS apps sound.

15. Plus recording studios cost a ton of cashola!

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nothing impossible about that at all. Not only that, it will probably sound pretty good.