1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I'm going to have to turn down a band (Leather and Dragon content)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oniman7, Aug 1, 2012.

1. So I started talking to a singer yesterday about a band. he was looking for a guitarist for a power metal project, and I mentioned that I'm a bassist.

He's a really excited guy with a great range (C2 - C6) with tons of vibrato. His last band was really solid. He, along with his brother the drummer (still in this project) were the principal songwriters.

I really love this kind of music, but I can't get into the whole scene. He's talking about getting us all to go buy slim leather pants and various props and such (including that hammer). He has a practice space that he rents hourly that he would pay for, would send me most of the songs, but we'd only have to practice a couple times before gigs (doing most of the practicing at home) and gig maybe once a month. I also don't know how successful I could ever be in a band like this.

I am also trying to start an original project, and I really want one of my own (I have started writing songs for it) but I really need to find a guitarist, preferably with vocals, and that is really hard to do in my area. Especially someone our age (I'm 16 going on 17) and drama free. It would be totally different than the above, but still hard rock and metal. It would be pretty much straightforward rock and metal with catchy hooks and such (think some Avenged Sevenfold, Three Days Grace, Black Sabbath, and Tool, but not quite as heavy and coming around to poppier hooks). I have a singing drummer who can do it.

I am also maybe going to be auditioning to play in a classic rock cover band that gigs fairly regularly and makes good money.

I've just graduated high school, but I can't drive myself, and I'm also going to be teaching guitar/bass lessons and interning as a copy writer. I just don't think I have the time to do all of it. I think I would feel ridiculous doing the power metal band on stage, especially dressing the part, but the music is awesome and the guy's a great singer. I need to have an original band, that's one I'm not willing to give up, and I think a classic rock cover band would be a great opportunity to make some money and solidify my playing in another field.

What would you do?

2. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Do 'em all. They will sort themselves out soon enough.

3. I considered this, but what if they all end up working?

4. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    The more bands you play with, the more experience you'll gain and will lead to you becoming a better player. If it's possible time-wise to try all of the projects, go for it. If not, choose from your options. You're young, and the good news is that you will have more opportunities in the future.

So enjoy playing bass and try out as many musical styles as you can!

Have fun, Joel :bassist:

5. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    You might have to drop one or more if conflicts arise. Just be honest with the bands about your schedule and show them you're sincere about making music, plus are willing to practice and be a "team player".

6. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I'd give the Dragon band a shot if you have time. It's a ready made situation, dude can definitely sing and band is really tight. You can probably also do the original project, and even double bill both bands on occasion as the genres seem close enough. I would leave the classic rock cover bands to the old dudes if I were your age. That's what you fall back on when you are old and never made it big and you're too broke down to handle Econo touring with an original band anymore.

Don't worry about the dressup part. Try it and you might find it unleashes your inner rockstar(the Ziggy/Alice/M Manson syndrome).

7. Holy crap I wish there was a band like that in my area.

seriously one like that pops up around me and my band is gonna start getting real nervous

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just Do It.
    Let's face it, most bands hardly work at all.
    It will be great experience and one gig may rise to the top.

9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Given the way the music business is, at least one (and quite possibly all three) may crap out before they get off the ground.

So at least dip a toe in the water with each one, and see where they lead...

10. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    just don't go out and buy leather pants until you actually have a gig to wear them to!!

11. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    First thing I'd do is get a driver's license.

12. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Doesn't really matter what I would do. What matters is what's right for you.

It seems clear from your post that you're not comfortable with the band you linked. If you're not comfortable with the band, what makes you think it'll work out for you? It doesn't matter how good they are... would you play polka music with the world's best polka band??

Plus you say you don't have time for three bands, you need your own original band, and the cover band would bring you some much-needed dough. This is a no-brainer IMO... pass on the dragons and leather.

Oh, and not ALL of us old guys playing classic rock are "broke down." :D

13. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I would have to question Why is the band reforming?
    WHAT happened to the guitars and bass player?
    Just curious.

14. New band, not reforming. The singer and drummer are brothers and want to give it another shot.

The music is incredibly awesome, but I realized I can't do the whole scene. He likes to wave a hammer around on stage and get into the whole dragons and elves thing on stage. I just could never bring myself to get into that. I wouldn't take a gig that I was embarrassed to have my best friends, teachers, grandparents etc. Come out to see me, and that's the way that gig will go.

I am auditioning with the classic rock band Sunday, maybe meeting with the drummer of my band Saturday, and recently got a text from the guitarist of a notable local rock band looking for a more fulfilling side project.

I'm not eligible for a Driver's License until February

15. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    That's a good point. I'm all for playing embarrassing gigs, but this is the wrong kind of embarrassing gig. If you're gonna take a gig that's embarrassing, it'd better be embarrassing because all the songs are super-popular and the crowd's full of girls. Power metal meets neither of those criteria.