I Think I'm Going to Start Leaving My EQ Flat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Mar 5, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

When I raise the bass and treble and scoop the mids, I don't cut through the mix. Raising the mids gives me a bad slap tone. And because I'm lazy, I don't edit my EQ between songs. So, from now on, I'm leaving it flat, and I'll have the best of both worlds.

But I'm still cutting the highs a bit.:ninja:
  2. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, you *say* that. I have too, and it's hard to stick to that, but on my SVT-4 PRO, which I no longer have, I finally figured out that turning the EQ off gave me the best tone, especially with the 3 band EQ and the mid selector. It's also tempting to hit the "deep" buttons, etc, but you really end up with a gawdy tone, IMHO if you close your eyes and really listen. Since the 4-PRO is 2 power amps sharing the same preamp, and I was using a single 410HLF, I just couldn't see keeping the amp because I wasn't really using most of it. Very nice amp, though. On every good amp I've owned, the manuals always say "cut", don't boost.

3. ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    When I audition equipment, I always run it "flat". If I don't hear a good sound in that position (whether it's a bass, an amp, or a cabinet), I look further. If I really like what I hear in the flat environment, I know I can adjust from there to get the sound I really need for a given environment. Starting with something I'm not happy with in the flat position never seems to get much better when I start adjusting knobs.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do what I do. Use a "flat" sound most of the time, and run an EQ pedal for the scooped slap sound.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, a BassBone works well for that.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    "Flat" according to the tone knobs is not necessarily flat.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I run mine somewhat reverse smiley (cut on bass, boost on mids and a little bump @ highs) and adjust EQ from the bass.

A Stingray's pre allows for a good EQ adjustment when it comes time to get funky.
  8. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I run mine more or less flat at the amp. I love the way my GBE600 sounds with the knobs flat (although I typically add in a little bit of the LowFrequency Extension for "gravitas").
    However, my default setting on my bass has the mids boosted slightly at 250Hz.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My stingray likes a little 250Hz boost, but Jazz copy with the Alembic pickups hates it. It's all relative.
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well I always have my bass boost button on on my Mag300 because it just doesn't seem right without it. I like feeling the bass, not just hearing it and turning on the bass boost is the best way.
    I do have a BDDI, which has a simple 2band EQ. But it changes the tone of the bass. Maybe I'll get an EQ pedal.
  11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have been runnig my Eden Navigator flat ( maybe a tiny bit of subtraction). I tweak from the bass, or use the Enhance dial (very small amounts mind you). This is by far the best amp I have ever owned (Nav + QSC PLX 1602). It works well with all my basses but I am especially pleased with the sound of my Modulus Q5. It has never sounded better. I cant believe I dont see more of these pre's in racks.
  12. Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    What I like to do is keep my amp's eq flat, and adjust my bass's eq accordingly. Now if I actually had a quality amp, that'd most likely change, but I don't necessarily have top o' the line equipment.
  13. LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I run close to flat on my Ampeg SVP Pro pre. I have the scooped smiley face set up on the graphic EQ and kick it in via footswitch for slap.

Other thing is to do what Munjy suggeted however I use to use a Boss GEB-7 and it worked great.

I currently use a Peavey DPC1400x amp with a Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I hate dealing with EQ between songs. Once I start playing I want to *play* and forget about the equipment. So I leave the EQ flat (or sometimes tweak a bit as required), but usually flat.

At home I spend time messing with pedals, messing with EQ but rarely at a gig.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's what I use on my "portable" pedalboard. The other pedalboard stays in the band truck and has a Boss EQ20 Advanced. It's digital, programable, you can save and recall 10 different EQ patches. Guess how many I use? Only one, the slap setting. The Simpler Boss pedal is all you need.
  16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I try to set my eq at the begining of the gig and at least try to forget about it.:smug:
  17. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    One thing to consider is that some preamps aren't really flat, when you set them to what should be flat. Some preamps, it's just the opposite actually (F1-X) for ex.

But if your preamp/head uses a graphic eq. then this may not be the case.
  18. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    That looks like a useful pedal with lots of features and I remember when it came out a few years ago. But I could find the BassBone on Radial's site when I searched Google.

Has radial quit making these? :ninja:
  19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For lack of a better term, I call this the "default voicing." For my GK Backline 600 head, the default voicing is a smiley face, like the old Fender Bassman head.

Using a spectrum analyzer, I figured out how to dial my BL600 head to be within +/- 0.2 dB of flat. I marked those settings with a sharpie on the front panel. I don't use the flat settings, but at least I know where they are and what my real settings are.
  20. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    A few months ago, I started just diming the knobs and turning graphic EQs off on all my gear. I get a different tone with my hands, or change basses. So far, I'm much happier this way. Simplicity seems to work for me.