Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I'm gonna do it. Bartolini Pream upgrade. Question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 15, 2005.

1. I've been going over this in my mind for several weeks now, and I believe that I'm going to go ahead and switch my old Peavey preamp out for a Bartolini preamp. Since I'm limited to only three pot positions, I am thinking of going with the new HR-3.4, which is Volume/Volume, Mid, and Bass/Treble.

However, here's the question. What if I wanted it set up this way. Volume/Blend, Mid (push pull Active/Passive), Bass/Treble. Is it possible to wire it that way? I'd like to have the ability to switch to passive if I have to, but the HR-3.4 doesn't have that option.

The other option would be the HR-2.4, which is a Volume (push-pull), Mid (with frequency push-pull), and bass/treble. But then, that's only for a one pickup setup and I have two pickups.

I don't think I'd be able to work a 4th pot in, but that would satisfy my problem.

What would YOU do?

By the way, I may switch the pickups out also, if my current pickups require it. I'm thinking they'll work though.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Maybe you could have a 4.7 A/P modified so that the mid and blend are on a concentric pot. The 4.7 has the frequency selector on a 3 position on/on/on switch. This should be a simple modification to add the hole for this.

I know my preference (having had both push/pull and 3 position switch) for mid selection is the 3-way on/on/on over the 2-way push/pull.

I've talked with Brian at BestBassGear.com on several other custon jobs, maybe he can help you out on this.

R

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not aware of any aftermarket blend/volume concentric pots available in the aftermarket.

Yes, I know Warwick use vol/blend pots in their MEC preamps and the J-Retro/U-Retro uses this too. But I haven't seen any pot like this available to the end consumer to buy.

4. Yes, BestBassGear.com is where I'm going to get this preamp. Maybe I should email Brian there and see what he thinks.

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've had Brian at BBG do the install of both my Bartolini systems on both my basses. Highly reccomended. Give him a call or send an email explaining what you have and what you want. He'll let you know what can be done. Very reasonable as well.

6. Emailed Brian on Friday. . . . . . . . . no replies yet. Maybe he's busy. :meh: