Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I'm gonna scoop this tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Coxtosen, Sep 20, 2005.

1. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    My 6 string sucks. The Lowend Basses string spacing is too wide. Hotwires are too expensive. And the Ibanez 1006efm that I'm able to get a good deal on is not really my thing.

I'm gonna try this.

http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/pedulla_thunderbolt_6_st.htm

I asked around a bit and these are supposed to have a pretty round and lively tone. Plus the midrange switch interests me. There are alot of shining reviews of Pedullas and although I've only played a Pentabuzz, the quality was second to none and it was the nicest sounding fretless bass I've ever played. I'll use this as another step towards something thats EXACTLY what I want. Unless I fall in love with it, of course. I'm not to crazy about the look, but it looks OK in sort of a non descript kind of way. Not really too much different than my Ibanez. If it does the trick tonally, I really don't care about its looks.

We'll see how it goes. I'll post some pictures and some poop when and if I get it. It's looking like a for sure thing though. I've been visiting it online for a while and I've called about it twice. I guess its in pretty good shape and plays really well. I described my wants to the guy there and he said it definitely has more of an open tone. I'm excited! Does anyone have any experience with these?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Didn't someone already buy that?

Someone posted in the past week about buying a used Pedulla Thunderbolt that was all black and a 6.

3. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Damn! Now I CAN'T get it. :D

The guy was holding it when I talked to him today so it isn't this one. I suppose there are more than a few plain black ones out there.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's cool.

Everyone should own at least one all black bass.

5. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Darn...I wanted to see some poop. I played a similar Pedulla at my local GC the other day (except it had 24 frets). Great sounding bass, but my favorite part was the neck. Nice and thin, extremely fast.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I played a Pedulla at GC in Boston. I hated it. Tone, feel, everything. Don't like Pedullas one bit.

Stambaugh, on the other hand . . . . HOT

7. Bass Central has a used Dingwall Afterburner II 6 string for $1499.

Bass Alone has a nice looking Bossa OB-6 that is used. I'm not sure what the price is, but those are nice basses.

Just a couple of other options.

8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    That Dingwall is probably sold. Basscentral is in serious need of a web master. The site hasn't been updated in a while.

9. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    My experience with Bass Alone is they don't remove sold items from the list. Grrrr! FWIW, I played a Thunderbolt 5 recently--nice tone and great feeling neck.

10. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I bought it. It should be here Fri. just in time to adjust to taste and bring to the gig. I'll post the poop Sat.

I DID see that Bossa. It was a little to gaudy for me. Not my style.

11. John Coxtosen

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Its here. Did some minor changes. Its a sweetheart. Very live tone acoustically and plugged in. Very growly. We'll see how it goes at the gig. I think it'll be great.

For some reason I thought that the neck might be a bit clunkier and thicker than my Ibanez, but thats not the case at all! Its like jumping out of an old truck into some exotic car. SUPER fast and comfy. Its in pretty good shape too. I dated it and it was made in 1993. Quite a bit older than I thought. It smells funny, too. Either its going away or I'm getting used to it. Anyway, I'm happy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]