I think I'm in love!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well I just tried out a used Hartke 3500, advertised at £270 (Haggled it to £250) and man did that thing kick ass! I tried it with a Yamaha active PJ bass (No idea what model, but it was nice, but the action was a tad high)

That thing has an RRP of about £450, and cheapest I've seen is brand new is about £350-£400. Used for £250 in a case worth almost £100, I think it's a sound deal... Problem is, I don't have a cab!

The only speaker like thing I could use for myself is my brothers old 200 watt 1x10 PA speaker he replaced ages ago. I know it'll sound like bollucks, but the music shop said they'd let me take the amp home for a week to try with the cabs at school (Where I'll be using it most) and to try with my PA speaker at home. If it sounds at all (Not worried about sounding that good) then she says she'll put the reserve in for it, so I can get it for my birthday in november. Now more to the point:

She says she'll be willing to spend £150 on a cab too, but no more. What cabs could I get for £150 used? (I'd like a 4x10 ideally, but a 2x10 would do also, or a 1x15 with a horn. I want something punchy, for playing Megadeth style metal or Less Than Jake style ska, and the lighter the better)
    Any help would be muchos appreciated!

PS: I use an active Traben Phoenix 4 and a passive fretless Westfield SB427, and I'm also half way through building a passive 5 string growling deamon, with a Zoom Uf-01 fuzz pedal.
  2. Well. I'm also going to build a rig (1st one ever) and I was looking for something that will last a while and is not too expensive. I came across this.

Steel Sound 4-10" Cabinet - SSB-410L

It goes for $159.00 (US)

There is also a 2x10 for $89.00
  3. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Wow! Just checked it out on their website, and it does look delicious... 800 watts too! But they don't ship to the UK, and I haven't seen anything around here like that! :bawl:
    Thanks for that though, I'll keep my eyes peeled!
  4. I'd look into a peavey cab, my first rig was a peavey firebass and a 410 cab, which i got second hand in really good condition for £500 on the bay, you now see them going for £400ish, they cost a fair bit more than that new ~£900 RRP iirc, anyways, you'd just want the cab, they still go fairly cheaply and are really good quality for the price, and are built like tanks.

Recently (ish) got a peavey 2x15 D BW, which is an amazing cab! and it was in pretty good condition, for all of £75 on ebay!!!!!
  5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Legion sound always seems too cheap to be real. But there is a very good review on here about their 2x12

I'm half tempted to buy one of their 8x10 simply because it's only $270.

I mean, come on, even if it sucks I'm sure it's still worth the 270 LOL

The sites these guys sell through always seem to have crappy customer care attitudes though....thats really unappealing.
  6. He aint in the US, so he cant get them, as said already
  7. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Mmm, I was kind of hoping someone might say Peavey, as I've seen some TX and TVX cabs go pretty cheap on the ol' 'bay. Only thing is the weight - I'm only 15 (But pretty strong for my age) so I can't lug ridiculously heavy equipment about. I'm happy carrying my brother's AVT-100 guitar amp, or my mate's Line 6 Spider 212 for what it's worth.
  8. pfft, you'll be even stronger for your age if you have to carry them around ;)

I seriously dont get the deal with that tho, i got my 410 and firebass when i was 16-17, maybe more 17, either way, it has never seemed heavy to me, hell, i even use the 410 ontop of the 2x15 (all vertically) at times, with an SVT perched on top (thats the hard bit, and thats now, at 19) when im pretty sure its not goign to fall over anyway . . .
  9. . . . altho, one saying that, i know someone on this forum, whos 18 and did his back in moving a trace 1x15 . . . hahaha . . . + im better at pool than him, anyways . . .
  10. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ouch! I almost did my back in earlier this year trying to carry a 35 kilo sub down a flight of stairs... Wasn't nice! I found someone else around to give me a hand along the rest of the journey, but man that thing killed! I could imagine Trace gear weighing quite a bit. Good stuff though!
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Trace gear is just stupid, was looking at buying an old BFC that had 75% off till I found out it weighed 87kg, since I have a staircase in my house I was predicting a totaly back failiure rather rapidly. I can shift 40 kg cabs around without much difficulty though and I'm 15 so don't worry yourself. Just be warned that trace are indeed crazy. I'd say peavey would be a good bet in your position, hope you find something decent. And remember, lift with your legs and not your back, that's a lesson you don't wanna learn the hard way.
  12. for starters, mohawk's opinion are void. this guy IS HUGE. easily one of the tallest and strongest guys ive ever met. [edit] bawjaws. :smug:

check out the MAG cabs by ashdown; 4x10s are around £170-220 brand new.

peavey cabs are good as well (thumb up). trace stuff is intensely heavy, but are loud, reliable, efficient, impressive... and green!

and yes. the story of my back packing in as i reached the top stair with my 15" is rather embarrising. :)

if you're gunna be a bass player, imo you should strengthen you quads, back, abs and biceps/triceps. you're gear is gunna be heavey (debatable but something at some point will be heavey).

...buy trace.

p.s. are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
  13. Spadeface? you sir are a racist, i find that no way to talk of my ethnic origins

Im not that big, im just bigger than you, and threw you about :p

p.s. Oh an African swallow maybe, but african swallows are non-migratory
  14. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Haha, I guess you're bigger than us up North then? Sounds like it! I never can get the hang of lifting with my legs - I dunno why, but when I bend down to pick up whatever it is, when I try and push up with my legs all the weight just goes to my arms and pulls my back down.

I didn't know Ashdown gear was so cheap! I thought about getting a Mag 300H with a Mag 4x10, but I thought it was a tad too warm for my liking (the one I tried in the shop anywho). Would sound lush with a Fender Jazz. I'd love an Ashdown 4x10 though! I'll try and find out if anyone has one they'd be willing to part with in exchange for a Fender Rumble 60. That would be fantastic!
  15. I am built like a rake atm(6'5 and 70kg, dunno in pounds) and I can carry my Trace Elliot easily, one handed over shortish distances. But I would gladly trade some extra weight for good tone :p Oh wait, I have nothing constructive to put towards this thread... Just ignore me, I'm going to work now

Edit: Tech, sounds like you haven't straightened your back before lifting, hard to explain in text but look how weightlifters do it, thats kinda how it should look.
  16. Hello Dave

Hello Dave

May 4, 2005
    Have you considered Behringer? Check out www.BlueAran.co.uk for very cheap Behringer stuff in the UK.
  17. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks for the tip Pantsman! Will try it at the band practice on Tuesday. And the 1x15 looks deliciously tempting on Bluearan! I will read up a little about it. I think then maybe when I sell my Fender in January I could buy a good 4x10...
    I'd love the 4x10 on Bluearan but I can't afford it! :crying:
  18. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    O, happy days! I've just found a guy in SOUTH WALES! selling a Hartke Vx410 (The model with the paper cones) for £160! Should I go for it? It's plenty powerful enough, but the only shop around here with Hartke cabs has the aluminium ones (Trying them out on Friday) and I've heard those sound quite different to the paper ones.
  19. aniki

Aug 12, 2005
    Glad your liking the 3500. Ive used a 5000 for years now playing, hardcore punk, stoner, metal rock etc.
    The 5000 has always provided the variety of tones I need depending on which band i'm playing with.
    Personally I never found any hartke cabs man enough for playing the kind of stuff I play.
    After my old 810 finally disintegrated! I needed something decent that was easier to haul around and cheaper!
    This is where my Ashdown saga began (currently using 2 ashdown mag410's)
    Got a UK mag410 for starters to try out. This is where it gets a bit complicated :meh: The older ashdown stuff (made in the UK) IMO didnt cut it. Sounded too weak & distorted way too early.
    However, after returning the UK model to the store in disgust I was advised to try a new (Chinese) one. TBH I ignorantly expected it to be cheaply made :eyebrow:
    How wrong was I!! Firstly I noticed it was a damn sight heavier than the UK model. Then I noticed it was rated at 450watts whereas the older UK one was rated at 350.
    After a few phone calls Ashdown claimed that due to the cheaper production costs, they could now afford to fit the same drivers in the mags as the more expensive ABM's.
    The only difference being the mags are made from chipboard as oppose to the ABM's ply & obviously the leather covering.
    Feeling slightly more optimistic yet somewhat sceptical I tried the new 410 at next practice.
    Fair to say it was so F***ing awesome that a week later I bought another one :D
    Even with the one cab I was louder than a LOUD rock drummer, an Orange half stack & a marshall half stack. But still had earth movingly tight thundering bass, with no distortion!!!!!!
    So to summarise if youre only using one cab, a 4x10 will cover most scenarios. If you do go Ashdown, either get a second hand ABM or go for a Chinese made mag which are only about £280 new.