1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I'm limited on the basses I can pluck with

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bkchang79, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I started out with a fender and cannot pluck with any other instrument without a pickguard. I really really like the G&L 2500, but I just can't deal with it because of the distance from the body and string. Are there any basses I should look out for? I really really like the G&Ls.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this? From the body to the string - do you mean the height of the strings above the body/neck - usually known as the "action"?

This is adjustable on virtually every bass guitar built, so shouldn't be a problem - or did you mean something else?

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Personally, I have a difficult time playing any bass but my own. I get used to the feel, the action, the balance, weight, ....

That being said, I can get used to a new bass, but it takes some time, to find it's "voice".

In January, I'll be performing at a couple of shows in LA related to the NAMM show and a very special talkbass event. I have instruments available to me, but I would feel so very much more comfortable on my bass. The airlines are making it more and more difficult to bring instruments on board. I am facing a dilemma

Mike

4. I think bkchang79 did mean the distance between body and string. You're using the pickguard (body) to rest your thumb, right ?
    The Gary Willis bass (Ibanez) has designed the "ramp" on his bass especially for this. (it's removable too)

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmap.html

5. Wow, didn't notice the ramp. Is that what they call it?