I think I'm limited on the basses I can pluck with

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bkchang79, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I started out with a fender and cannot pluck with any other instrument without a pickguard. I really really like the G&L 2500, but I just can't deal with it because of the distance from the body and string. Are there any basses I should look out for? I really really like the G&Ls.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this? From the body to the string - do you mean the height of the strings above the body/neck - usually known as the "action"?

This is adjustable on virtually every bass guitar built, so shouldn't be a problem - or did you mean something else?
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Personally, I have a difficult time playing any bass but my own. I get used to the feel, the action, the balance, weight, ....

That being said, I can get used to a new bass, but it takes some time, to find it's "voice".

In January, I'll be performing at a couple of shows in LA related to the NAMM show and a very special talkbass event. I have instruments available to me, but I would feel so very much more comfortable on my bass. The airlines are making it more and more difficult to bring instruments on board. I am facing a dilemma

4. I think bkchang79 did mean the distance between body and string. You're using the pickguard (body) to rest your thumb, right ?
    The Gary Willis bass (Ibanez) has designed the "ramp" on his bass especially for this. (it's removable too)

5. Wow, didn't notice the ramp. Is that what they call it?