1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think im losing interest in the bass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by skoti89, May 12, 2006.

1. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Well, I quit the band I was in at my church. I'm not exactley "worship leader" material...then a couple months ago, the first band I was in just broke up. Now I have nothing to really motivate me to play, after five minutes of playing, I get bored. I still get lessons, but once a week, that's really nothing. I try jamming with friends, but it is so damn hard to start a band. People keep asking for my number to jam, but it never happens...lets see I am lined up to jam in a punk, an emo/indie, a metal, and yet another pointless church band.. This is just really sucks to me.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, heres what got me back on the boat...

Take up the Double Bass. I mean, I'm in Orchestra, and just use the school's, but wow...so much better.

Used to fall asleep in orchestra playing viola, now I'm always awake and having fun (now that my fingers have gotten used to the tension...)

3. maybe you aren't playing music that you really like?

what kind of music do you like to play?

that is what happened to me when i moved up here...i found out there were a lot of guitar players, and so far i have only discovered two genres exist...metallica and ska...but then i started working on my own music (very far from both genres) and i am much happier :)

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You may just have problems being self motivated. I know I do. Tell me to learn some songs, no problem. But left to myself I just play the same songs over and over.

What worked for me once when I was in a rut was to pick a songlist from a cover band that played songs I like. You could pick an original band but you get more of a range with a cover band.

Then I learned them as if I had an audition coming up. Even the ones I didn't really like.

Before I was done, something came along. But it got me out of the rut and continuing to play so I was ready when something did come along.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I bought a bunch of new gear to get my interest in playing bass back.

-Mike

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ha ha! That has worked for me too :D

Nothing like dropping two grand on a bass rig to get you motivated ;)

7. I'm in the same boat. After I left high school I lost interest. The band I was in disolved, and I no longer participated in the school's music department groups and jazz classes on the side. It's always good to keep practicing by yourself, but that won't regain your interest.

My advice: Keep up the band search. Playing by yourself gets old fast, and is what killed it for me. Even jamming casually with friends can get boring if you're looking for something more serious.

8. If you don't already, learn to appreciate blues and jazz, and try to attend some local open mic nights where they play that sort of thing. Get up and play as much as they'll let you. Worked for me, hope it'll work for you:)

9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't know if this will work for you, but what I've been doing when I kind of get bored with bass is going and playing the piano. It's kind of a different approach to music. No thinking about the fretboard, all the notes are right there for you. Not saying piano is easier, but it's just different, a different way to keep the creative juices flowing.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Totally. Part of the reason I lost interest was that I became bored with my gear. When the gear I have now gets "old", I'll swap it out for something new.

-Mike

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Having the right gear for you really helps. I am sure all the toys would be fun, but having the right stuff is the best. I have a good stable of great basses, and they keep me playing. Though I have been fiddling with my metalzone a lot recently.

12. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    hahha i like the way that sounds...well, i like to play alot of music...its just hard getting really into it without being in a band

13. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    well, thanks for all the advice. yeah, i just have to get into another band, my skills have gotten no better( i actually dont remember how to write that great of a bass line anymiore)you need to jam with people to be able to make a great line....oh yeah, going to concerts makes it worse for me...the good memories

14. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I was in the same position but it was w/ guitar. That is why I started playing bass (which I like better). I have done the buying new stuff thing. It worked for awhile. When I get bored I usually do what I enjoy the most. Sitting outside with an instrument and writting a song. That is what works for me.

15. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Then maybe you should quit. Not to sound too harsh or anything, but if you're losing interest, then I'm not sure if forcing yourself is the best thing to do. Maybe trying to play some more will cure it, but forcing it may make you lose even more interest.

How about trying a new instrument? Focus more on writing music than playing it? Maybe you should quit doing anything related to music, and just get another hobby?

Just listening to music might be enough. You're not a traitor if you leave the bass (or are you? :p ).

Maybe if you leave the bass, or just relax a bit, it'll might come back one day. Or maybe it won't..

16. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    well, i just dropped 550 into a jazz bass, wich is probably the only thng keeping me going, it sounds so nice, and i just enjoy the tone, even if im bored with the playing

17. Stop playing a bit, buy new gear, just make a change and it'll all come back within time.

18. Jam along with music at practice volumes, pretend your in the band.
    Buy new gear, better gear, toys to make you interested!
    Buy different instruments and focus on those for awhile, or incorporate them into stuff you write.
    Start composing and/or recording songs.
    Work on singing and playing.
    Give your gear away or sell it and take up pottery, it's fun.

19. Stock R

Stock R n00b

Dec 5, 2005
    Toronto/Ottawa
    Here's my 2 cents. It sounds like you're suffering from a lack of motivation (as you've already pointed out) and musical depression. What you need is motivation to play again.

I won't comment on motivation on the punk, emo/indie, and metal. What I will comment on though is the church playing. This may come across as harsh, but I think you have your priorities all messed up. When you play in church or with a church band, your purpose and drive should be to serve and worship God. It's not about you or the music. It's about God. You don't have be worship leader material. You don't have to have a proper band either. What you need is a heart that desires to praise God. I believe when you have that, your motivation to play (at least in a church setting) will come.

20. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Well, i completely agree with you. Me and my pastor both agreed that i wasnt in the band for that.. i mean i actually admit to that. just struggles right now, and i need to get my life straight, and stop screwing it up(and i dont mean by drugs or anything else) Being on the worship teem is just about the only thing that made me keep to my standards or some other standards. i couldnt bear going to a party and drinking and smoking bud. then telling people im on a worship teem. that just hit my conscience hard. and i dont smoke weed anymore, i havent drank in probably a month. being on the teem, also helped me be a better person, and try to be somewhat of an example in front of the other high schoolers. i did enjoy worshiping God, but i think i might have been in it for myself more though. i guess that wasnt good enough for my youth pastor. thanks for you words, they are encouraging