I think it's getting outta hand now!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 16, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Apparently the Music Publishers Association is cracking down on sites, like LyricFind , that display song lyrics without permission. Why? What the point. Printing lyrics to songs isn't hurting anyone's livelyhood.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, it is.

Those fools.. you can get the lyrics by listening the song through yourself, for gods sake! So perhaps they'll be raiding your house next, checking you haven't made any papers of the lyrics'?

3. I guess becuase they can, and the (copyright) law is on their side!

However, I agree with you, they are taking this too far!
  4. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Or maybe they will probe your BRAIN to make sure you don't have a copy of the tune stored away in your memory somewhere. You might remember how the song goes from the radio, and play it back in your head without buying it....

5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Eek! :eek:

Now where did me put me tin foil...
  6. Yeah, you're right, it's perfectly within the copyright law.

Why though? Are these sites making money off these lyrics??

:spit: @ them.

7. I guess it's just 'cos they can. I wouldn't think the sites are making money off the lyrics....I mean how could they??

It'll be down to the copyright statement....'no part of this.......can be stored ,copied.......without express permission of the copyright holder'

You'd think they'd have better things to spend their time and money on, wouldn't you!
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The authorities are probably gonna show up at our gigs soon. Demanding royalties for our cover versions of their tunes.
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Around here, bars and clubs would (in theory) be responsible to send each setlist to Teosto, which is a Finnish music copyright agency, who then charge some cents per song played, shave some percents off as their fee and pay the rest to the songwriters.

Actually, the interesting part is, if you play your own stuff they still do that. And they also charge radio stations in similar manner.. Also, it was in the news couple of months ago that they start charging taxi drives something like $20 per month if they have radios in their cars.
  10. :eek:

gah! this is so stupid!

If anything, the music can get heard thanks to sites like these!

Too bad hearing someone humming or singing your tune under their breathe when you pass them isn't a big enough reward! :spit: :mad:
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yuppers I got the old tinfoil brain reading device on as we speak..........or type.....did you hear something?

hear ya go

now we'll all be safer.
  12. Don't worry, they're already getting money for them.

Certainly here in UK, the situation is similar to Tsal's example. Here, everywhere where music is played to the public - over the radio in hairdressers or supermarkets, or a live band in a bub or club - all these places have to have a licence (sp?) that costs "so much" per year (I think it depends on a whole loads of criteria) and, along with sample playlists taken from places, the money is distributed between the artists, dependant on how often they were played.

I guess it's about as fair a way as they can do it.

EDIT; 1200th post..... :meh:
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    In my opinion, you guys are right, they're doing it because they can. But, perhaps this is a good thing. Think about it. Why are they fighting lyric publishing sites? When someone doesn't have the power or ability to fight their real enemy, they usually go after a lesser foe. Just like the bully at school. They're really rebelling from their parents or older brother, but they can't take them on, so they pick on the smaller kids.