I think It's goood and You??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marcopalla, Oct 21, 2005.

1. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    I have found this bass to buy used, do you think is a good :hyper: choise/price??

- alembic persuader
    - Year 1987
    - n. 87P4404 U.S.A
    - Activ
    - 2 Pickup Alembic
    - volume-volume-tono
    - Trpugh Body
    - Tastiera Ebony
    - Koa body

2. :confused: That looks like a great price! :confused:
  3. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    heeem, i forgot the price:

€ 1.150,00

and an image:
  4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    I remember those, go for it. It's a classic. :)
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Good bass. Price seems OK for Europe. If it's in excellent condition and with no issues, I'd buy it. Koa bodies are rare and expensive these days.
  6. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    thanx for your suggestions, I'll try to get a better price, cose I've understood It's a little high? even if I think i'll buy; for me, european, it's very excite to own an alembic.
    The problem is that I have never ear this parcicular alembic persuader, but i'll try it.
    You know someting about its tone??

7. I had one very similar to this one except with a Mahogany body and Cocobolo top. It had more high-end than anyone could possibly ever need except for maybe The Ox, of course. I think that was due to the electronics more than anything else. The neck was super-fast and playability was near perfection. It had a solid low end but it couldn't get round enough for me. I would try to dial up a simple, round vintage tone and it was hard keeping it from sounding hollow. Obviously it wasn't made for that but I like to have it all in one bass, if possible. The string spacing took some getting used to, that's for sure. If you learned on a Hofner, you'll be right at home!

Bottom line for me looking back: amazing playability and solo/slap/tap tones, limited use for vintage sounds, narrow string spacing.
  8. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005

If I understand well it seems to have a very high output, clear-metallic-more_trebles sound. It doesn't become warmer even if you work on pikup volume regulation: all on P or something else? (I'm not really the soloist of the band, they always want a warm/fewnote/background sound... :spit: )
  9. With my particular bass, yes. At the time I had two Alembics and the other one was all maple. They both had the same electronics. Because they were both pretty bright, I rolled off lots of high end at the amp but it never sounded right to me. Anyone who's heard Jimmy Johnson on his Alembics can tell you that it's totally possible to get a huge and warm but articulate sound from them.
    Don't let this discourage you from trying it, if that's even possible. Being Koa, it could be mellow, ya never know!
  10. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    sunday I'll go to try it (the owner is in another city),
    if I buy, I'll post a pic.

thanx to all for suggestions.
  11. That doesn't look like koa to me--more like bocote--but it's hard to go wrong with Alembic. If you get the bass, try running it through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI, which will do a lot to fill out the bottom end.
  12. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I got my Persuader off of eBay for under $1000 US. (It happen to be a TB'er selling it.) You'll love it.

13. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    Hi, Thanx again for the suggestions,
    sunday I went to try it,
    I had not bought for these reason (maybe someone could find usefull this informations):

- too heavy (15 minutes playing = a stiff neck, really)
    - flat mid sound (I have tryed trought an ampeg amply, and I have tried all possible regulation on bass)
    - the neck is very hard to play (I consider very cool for me the neck of the jazz)

probably I'm saying an heresy, I'm not a guru and it is my personal disputable opinion, but 1.100 Eur are a lot of money for me for an used instrument: I have not jumped for the emotion when I've played, so....