1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think it's time for a new camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Apr 22, 2009.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I'm really pissed off. Last night attended my first Motörhead concert (my ears are still ringing) in the capital city (an eight-hour bus trip). I brought my camera and made sure that it was fully charged before leaving, but anyway I brought the charger (that camera uses a lithium-ion battery) since I've had trouble with battery life before. When I arrived to the terminal station early in the morning, I went to a bathroom and checked the battery. It was OK. Anyway, I plugged the charger to the AC line and re-checked the camera. No charge needed. Went to the venue and the waiting started (from 9:30 in the morning to 8:15 P.M.). I didn't turn the camera on during the whole day, just trying to make sure it was OK for the concert. When I entered the coliseum at 5:00 P.M., I tried to take a full stage picture. After doing it, the camera froze and removed the battery for unlocking it. Success. Tried to take another picture and... no live preview available. Battery charge so low. What the hell? Couldn't find an AC outlet to recharge it. At the end of the concert I had 16 bad pictures. :mad:

I replaced the battery last year and I'm not an avid photographer. Not so much camera use, so I don't think one year is time for replacing a lithium-eon battery. So, should I take it to a technician? Time for a new camera? I'm thinking of such option, so I'd like to hear your recommendations. Again, I'm not an avid photographer so my requirements aren't that special, but anyway I'd like to have an affordable camera with enough capabilities for taking great pictures (from a non-photographer perspective) and capturing decent video and, most of all, RELIABLE. Thank you in advance for your input!

P.S.: Here are some of those pics, anyway:

MotrheadBogot009.

MotrheadBogot013.

MotrheadBogot014.

2. my buddy has a digital nikon. it has a removable lense and takes beautiful pictures. i will get you the model number. i bet it was a rockin show.

3. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Get a Canon EOS like the guy in the bottom right of the second pic and you will be set.

4. Well, that sucks.
    You did get a few good pics though. :bassist:

What price range are you looking in?

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Lemmy is badass looking no matter the picture!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you looking for a basic point and shoot? A P&S with some professional features? Or a full blown SLR?

I can't recommend Canon Powershot SD series cameras enough for great point and shoots. I use a Canon DSLR that comes with me when I know I'm going to be shooting, and have my SD600 with me all other times. It's taken a beating and keeps taking great photos.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I'm thinking of a point and shoot with professional features. Reflex cameras are great (I had a Canon AE-1 Program long, long ago) but again, I'm not a photographer and only use my camera for special occasions and recording videos for YouTube. My current camera is perfect for me in terms of features and resolution, but I don't trust it anymore for outdoor work. Question: Should I discard lithium-ion powered cameras and focus on AA-powered ones? Thank you again!

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

No more than 300 USD, I think. Problem is that I don't know how different are prices in the U.S. compared with my nearest local store.

9. I use a Canon DSLR, and a Canon Ixus 90 (Powershot SD790 in the US). It's a really good camera with some great features. It's been reliable for me and the picture quality (while not up to the standard of my DSLR) is good.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Bump.

11. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I have no problem at all with mine (Nicon Coolipix S210, really basic pocket camera, 1 year old now), and I would probably never choose a camera that runs on standard batteries, rechargeable or not. However, no batteries last forever, maybe you can order a couple of new ones for your camera?

On the mobile phone side, I've noticed it's crucial how you treat the batteries when they're fresh. Charge them for about 10-20 hours a few times in the beginning and let discharge completely in between. They seem to last longer when you do that.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

After reading lots of reviews, I think I've found the perfect camera for me. Out of the price range I stated above, but I think it worths the effort. Again, I'm not a photographer and I don't want to carry a big SLR. Perhaps one of the things that attracted me the most from this camera is the fact that it accepts BOTH lithium-ion and AAA batteries.

The thing is, I think I'll have to tell the guy who has brought my instruments to buy this camera for me since Ricoh is a very well-known brand in my country in the photocopiers market, but I think people here hardly knows that they also have a digital camera line. Actually, the Colombian branch doesn't even mention them :(. Hope they will reply to my inquiry.