1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I've concluded I favor single pickup basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gt96g, Aug 14, 2012.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I have been a fan of the single humbucker style basses for a while now, Stingray, Sterling etc. I have also owned a number of basses of the traditional two pickup variety and after receiving the fender P bass today I just traded for I really am starting to believe that the tone from a single pickup just sounds right to my ear.

Aside from the p bass I have noticed that even on identical instruments only varying in # of pups i.e. Stingray H v. Stingray HH, The tone on the HH while soloed on the bridge pup to me just does not sound the same as the Stingray H. Thus preference of the single H, anybody else find this to be the case?

dralionux likes this.
  2. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    Oh yeah!

Attached Files:

3. You have relegated yourself to inferiority! You will not be welcome in the coming empire!

fretlessguy likes this.
  4. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    yes I know your a loyal follower of the Jazz bass, I like them too just think I prefer the mono pup variety.

5. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Best sounding bass I've ever owned:

GEDC0080.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This makes a Jazz bass sound like the thin, puny, girly thing it actually is :D

[​IMG]

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    After thinning my herd I noticed that I only had single pickup basses. Came to the same conclusion as you without really thinking about it.

8. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I've considering going that way, but then I remember all the great two-pickup basses I want, like the Ric. I guess I prefer a minimum of pickups: I could never do a three-pickup bass.

9. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    [​IMG]

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    do kind of miss my grabber with the pickup stuck where i liked it, volume 10, tone 4

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I love all basses, that said, my precision is the one thats seen the most gigs.

fretlessguy likes this.
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    The reason the Single H sounds different than the HH is because the Single H is placed in the perfect sweet spot. The HH is a little closer to the bridge, so it effects the sound.

13. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    can't say I've ever noticed it, I guess it is not as apparent as say the difference between a SR H and a lakland with an HS config.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I think its obvious I came to this conclusion awhile ago! Something about that sweet spot!

bassomane likes this.
  15. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    you have the fretless twin of my L1K. great sounding bass. i have it strung up with chromes (.50-.105) and i can go from geezer butler thump to full on steve harris clank. the tone control on these basses is quite amazing, IMO.

16. Single pickup?! How bout NO pickups! I have to hold this up to a mic!

koa1-1.

jnsnj and Fat Steve like this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I agree!

1. The pickup can be in the Sweet Spot - not too much bass, not too much treble
    2. 2 pickups have some phase cancellation.
    3. 2 pickups have some impedance loading with each other.

18. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Have you tried an Ibanez ATK300?

19. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Ok, then, what's knob for ?

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is the awesomeness knob! It dials in how much awesome you want. :bassist:

OOD and tbplayer59 like this.