Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think I've found my bassic tone...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by deepestend, Oct 30, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    After a lot of searching, I think I've found something that I'm pretty happy with. I can move on from this area for now!

After a lot of trial and error, I've decided that I really like my 1985 G&L L2000 with TI Jazz Flats going through a Boss stage tuner then a Sansamp DI and then through my newest addition, an EBS MultiComp.

I get a nice smooth sound that cuts through the mix without having to be super loud. I think the compressor has a lot to do with that. It gives me nice almost crisp sound. And with the Sansamp, I can get a little dirty distortion if I want it or a boost.

I have a mini-qtron, an old tube screamer, and a micro-bass synth, but I'm not sure these are for me. They almost seem like distractions to my playing. The bassic lineup of effects that I'm loving right now just give me a great bottom line tone... a great foundation.

I live in NYC and when I play out I usually don't have my own rig, so I needed a pretty portable setup that would give me a consistent sound. And the tube sounds of the EBS and Sansamp really warm up a lot of the beat up Peavy club amps I end up playing through.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone else have any success with a similar meat and potatoes setup or have any recs. for settings?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't have a meat and potatoes setup, I got boxes galore :)

But I play round the pubs/clubs in NYC also and take a similar approach. I like to have as much tone control as possible in my rig, to get my sound. And then just use whatever POS house rig there is flat. I get great consistent results that way, and don't have to spend much setup time with the house amp.

For tone shaping, I use an MXR M80 DI. I don't use the distortion on it, but use the first channel with eq and the second channel with their 'color' feature which works very nicely for slap.

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Do you run an XLR out of your DI, or do you let the soundguy use his DI out of the amp. I'm never sure what to do or how big of a stink I want to raise with these often impatient guys.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Depends on the place.

You play some of the smaller places, like CNote, Sidewalk etc and the POS house amp is all you get. In those cases, just right into the amp.

Other places: acme underground, arlene's, brownies (when they had bands). They were happy enough using my DI out, never had any problems.