Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i think my amp is dead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Dec 14, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it blew a fuse at practice. no big deal i thought. i went and got a new fuse popped it in. the amp is making a weird noise as soon as i turn it on. so i turn it off.
    i open it up. it smells bad. a cap came out! i guess the solder broke loose.
    know the board is burnt under where the cap was. and there is another cap and it is burnt under that one also.

is my amp gone? is it fixable? should i call trace elliot?

it is the commando head.
    is it worth fixing?

steve

2. Fixable, yes. (It worked as originally built, so "worst case" every component in the darn thing could be replaced to make it just like when you bought it)

Cheaper to buy a new amp? Quite probably.

3. Well maybe not cheaper, but more cost-effective, I should have said.

4. I'd bet the power amp section's blown. I had the exact same thing happen on a GK 800RB - cost me about $300; still less than replacing the head.

Good Luck

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    IIRC the amp was only $100, so maybe a new amp is in order...

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    so far it has only been $14
    but one of the tranistors was bad. the one that they replaced the bad one with

7. Unfortunately when something really fries in a solid state amp, it often takes several things with it. Good luck.