1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i think my bag end died

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PatO, Apr 5, 2009.

1. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    ok, so first mistake was letting anyone else use my rig. I went a solid year or so without sharing my amp with anyone, and then the first other person I let use it kills it. Moral of the story - my gear will never act as backline again.

BUT, the deal is my Bag End S15-D cabinet is now a mute. I was hoping that the speaker outputs on my Carvin R600 were the culprit but I checked them with a few other speakers and the outputs are fine. So I popped off the grate on my S15-D to check the speaker, and when I put any pressure on it I hear a scratching sound and sometimes a high pitch whistle. This means the speaker is f'd correct?

If in fact the speaker is screwed, anyone know where I can order a new Bag End E-15 speaker. I don't know how long I can handle not having the rumble that this cabinet gives me.

2. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Wow. It's not an easy task to lunch a BE driver. Rather than mess around you should call the the friendly folks at Bag End. They can take care of you or point you to someone local who can. 847-382-4550

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    You are correct its blown, talk to bag end about re-coning the driver.
    I trust you will be charging the bloke who blew it up for you for all costs
    + mental anguish caused by his perverse love of extreme fartyness as
    if he had any taste he would have turned it down and not blown it up.:ninja:

4. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    yeah, I sent an email into the support staff at Bag End. I'll probably just end up buying a fresh e-15 speaker. Reconeing seems shady. Or I could take this opportunity to get a new e-15 and a s15-dx.

I'm so far undecided about going after the fella. Our bands are on the same label, he's a really nice guy and he seemed genuinely upset about the whole thing. But that doesnt' do away with the minimum of about $300 its gonna cost me to get this thing rumbling again.

Its a damn good thing that I'm setting up shop to do some studio work this week and don't need a cab for a little while.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    It should be closer to 1/2 that... I was pricing the 12" drivers last fall and they were close to 1/2

6. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Then he should be genuinely more than happy to pay for the damage he's done and keep peace in the house.

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I bought a reconed 15" from BagEnd for $130 delivered to my door. One year warranty. New speakers were higher with a longer warranty. That was about three years ago, and speaker is doing fine. Very good customer service, in my opinion.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    There is nothing wrong with a re-coned speaker if it is done correctly and with the proper kit. It is identical to a new speaker.

Paul

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A big +1 to that.

10. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Not sure if it would be appropriate to ask here - what does a typical re-cone involve? Which of the various parts are replace/repair?

11. For most speakers the complete cone with outer and inner suspension, voice coil with lead wires and gaskets are replaced. Some (like the field servicable Peaveys) replace the whole basket assembly and just reuse the magnet structure. If the basket and magnet are not damaged, a recone with the original cone assembly is like a new speaker without the total material costs.
    If the magnet is demagnetized for the repair and then re-energized there maybe a very small loss in flux density but should not affect the operation to any notable degree.

12. I've had Bag End speakers reconed for about $45 with no problems. Like stated before, it's just like a brand new speaker if done properly. There's a local guy here near Sacramento CA, who does a great job. It's Neals Speaker service. I realize you're across the country, but others might benefit from this. You can ship your speaker to him.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  14. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    I've had great service from Bag End for many years now. Depending on your budget you could get a new driver (it shouldn't be too expensive, i've bought 18's for less than 250 from the company, although that might have been under warranty prices) and mabye even consider re-coning your other and keeping it as a backup. I suppose it's not likely you will ever blow it yourself, but personally I like having extra drivers, just in case. I suppose i'm dealing with other peoples signals going through my PA though. Maybe your instinct not to share your amp is a key element in this equation.

15. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    a reconed speaker is a new speaker on a used frame...it's virtually new in every way that matters and is a huge savings over a new one

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    When it comes to an expression of contrition, nothing says it quite like cash. Just saying 'sorry' doesn't cut it. :eyebrow:

If he's truly a nice guy, he'll make it his business to find out what it'll cost to repair your speaker and ante up without being asked--if for no other reason than to preserve his good name...

We define ourselves by the decisions we make and the actions we take.

17. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    I ordered a fresh Bag End E-15 to drop in the cabinet, it arrived on Thursday. I must say that the folks at the Bag End office (or wherever their phones are answered) are the most helpful, nice and polite sales team I've ever come across. Not only did they help me get a new speaker asap, they are checking the blown one against my warranty for any manufactoring flaws. She seemed to think it may have been bounced around a little too much in our van and then with a strong signal through it something popped. I kinda doubt that is what happened, but at least they paid for shipping it back to them.

18. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I love happy endings!

19. well, at least they're being honest with the warranty check. makes me more likely to possibly deal with them in the future knowing they are nice and fair.

20. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    Did you ever receive the repaired driver back?