1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i think my cab went to taco bell

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by narcopolo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    cuz that thing farts all the time. it's an avatar 210 neo. i have a traynor all tube head. at show volume, anytime i get down below A, things get real fuzzy real fast. i'm not a superknowledgeable guy when it comes to amps, but i don't understand how a 200 watt bass head is overdriving a 500 watt cab. it's just a passive four string. should i be looking into a 15" instead? any help would be tremendous.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    how do you have it EQ'd? Is there too much low end?

3. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i keep the bass knob on the head at less than 12 oclock . . . on my jazz bass i have the neck pickup all the way up, and the bridge about halfway back.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have found that a traynor yba-200 II can easily make most (if not all) single 2-10 cabs fart out. i think that you need two 2-10 cabs to do the head justice (and play cleanly). i would say to forget the 15, and just get another 2-10 and use two.

5. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    maybe you got something loose inside your cab which is vibrating

just mentioning it because thats what happened to one of my cabs, and guess what, you could only hear it when going lower than the lowest A!

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I play 2x10s exclusively (Acme B2) but I would never think to gig with just one. IMO you are simply asking too much of your cabinet. I think you should get a second and gig with both. I have four but I only use all four when I'm in the mood for some fun! I stack a pair vertically and have never wanted for more volume ever.

Paul

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to both above posts calling for an additional 210.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Because that 500 watt rating tells you when it will burn out, not fart out. As to how much it will take before it farts out, you already know. You can't expect miracles from a 2x10.

9. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    thanks, guys! i can't wait to play "amp tetris" in the econoline . . . :meh:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's how it goes for us. Should have played piccolo if you wanted an easy load-in ;)

11. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    ... or maybe triangle.

:bag:

12. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Another thought - make sure you know what speaker fart sounds like, vs other things, like loose electronics, or dying tubes. Maybe you're not popping your cones (sounds sexy, but it's not.) Maybe you're hearing something else.

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1

Many Traynor YBA200 and YBA200-2 owners who prefer a cleaner bass sound will swap out their amp's V1:A, 12AX7 pre-amp tube for a 12AT7 (which, as I understand it, has a lower plate voltage & gain) in order to tame the ease with which the initial stage of the pre-amp on these amps distorts (Traynor designed them for rock 'n' roll).

OP. If you download the YBA200-2 Owner's Manual (the Service Manual is worth downloading too) and examine the amp's Block Diagram, you'll see where V1:A is located in the signal path.

Another approach to taming the YBA200/200-2's pre-amp clipping is to plug a passive bass into the input labeled ACTIVE which has a -6db pad to tame the output of active basses. (One would then compensate for the resulting loss of volume by turning up the GAIN a bit.)

More info: 'the Traynor YBA-200 thread'

--------

That being said OP, a second 2X10" cab (which matches the one you already have) would move a lot more air while preserving your rig's tonal focus = a bigger, more intimidating bass sound.

You would also have the option of stacking the pair of 2X10" cabs on end to form a 4X10" line array to enhance the horizontal dispersion of your bass sound's mids and highs. (If you decide to do this, please place your amp head on the floor, or on a chair, or on a road case etc beside the cabs. Doing so is a good idea anyway in order to further isolate your amp's tubes from speaker cabinet vibration.)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've never understood doing that. C'rick me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just move the point of distortion in the preamp to a higher number on the dial and doesn't really change the volume point at which it will distort?

15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    A number of Traynor YBA200 & 200-2 owners claim that installing a 12AT7 in place of a 12AX7 in the amp's initial gain stage mellows the YBA200/200-2's pre-amp gain structure thus combating the onset of (what is for them) premature distortion in the sound of these amps.

If you look at the YBA200-2's Block Diagram you'll see that the tube in question lies after the input jacks and ahead the the GAIN control in the pre-amp's signal path.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, but if it distorts at 11:00 or 3:00, it's still going to be the same point in the volume, right?

17. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    From YBA200 owner Brent Norton:

"My chief complaint with the YBA was similar to others I've read here and elsewhere. Not enough volume. Not enough clean headroom -- too dirty too early. Not enough BALLS...

...I replaced the stock 12AX7s in the preamp; I now use an E-H 12AY7 in V1, and a NOS Mullard 12AT7 in V2. V1 will generally have the biggest impact on gain, and I wanted to drop it by a good share, so it made sense to drop the lowest gain tube in the first hole (a 12AY tube has 45% of the gain as compared to an 12AX. A 12AT has 60%). I went with the Mullard in the second to further reduce preamp gain a hair. The YBA200 comes stock with an E-H 12AU7 as the splitter, which I left alone.

The result? LOTS more headroom from the preamp, so with it, the ability to send a much bigger, yet cleaner signal to the power section. The overall result is a YBA that's louder, punchier, more 3-D in tone and yet still breaks up nicely when pushed hard -- and all that's still with the stocker 6550s. These two preamp tubes have already made a remarkable difference in helping bring this head to life....

...One other note about preamp tubes -- My bass, though passive, sends a pretty hot signal. Those of you with basses putting out smaller signals might prefer another 12AT7 in V1, instead of the 'AY7...."

Traynor YBA200 Tweaks & Observations

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Brent Norton, eh? Nice guy. Bummed me out badly when he accused me of being a shill for Upton Bass when they announced they bought rockabillybass.com, especially when Upton had nothing but good things to say about him. I still think he's a good guy, though...but totally wrong about that. Sorry...Uptons far outclass anything in their price range. What can I tell you?

19. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    You, a shill Jimmy? Nah... From what I've read of your posts you're just a fan of good gear.

I had a look at a few of those Upton Basses. They're priced more sensibly for what they are than many old Fenders.