I think my drummer has gone to the dark side...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mjolnir, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    He bought a Squier VM Jazz.

To make things worse, he wants to go ape**** crazy modding it, says he wants this to be the bass we experiment on to the fullest extent.

I think I'm going to have fun with this. :D

2. gtxtom

gtxtom

Nov 3, 2008
    Philly
    That's good ... especially if it's funded by him!

3. heh...heheheh

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I thought drums WERE the darkside.

5. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Or maybe that's g****r...

6. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    It's fairly often that I see my drummer pick up my bass and look at it blankly. I even taught him something once. I think it's healthy for drummers and bassists to at least be knowledgeable of each instrument, after all, we are the rhythm section.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I bought congas for my kid for christmas and I can't stop playing them... does that mean I am going to be a drum-tard?:eek::D

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    You're going to the dark side with the voodoo drums!

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Fine. Can I put a hex on all gui****s that annoy me?:hyper:

10. When he is done "modding" it, he will end up with a decent Fender for about 20% more than the original.

Squier is win or lose. My Indonesian Strat is amazing. Keeps in tune forever, amazing sound and sustain. I could probably spend $300 more in a new neck and pickups, plus pots, but what for.

Someone needs to give the parts reseller money, in this economy, anybody who else keeping our dealers in business is ok by me.

You could ask him who makes a good drum set for $200 and where you can buy parts to mod it.

11. My drummer and I are tight, we were thinking about doing this next summer..

Are bassist's usually best friends with the drummer? Or is it just me and my friends band? :p

He's better then me at bass too.. :p

12. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    :eyebrow:

13. GO ahead!!!Encourage him.What have you got to lose,besides the bass slot in your band.lol.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians?

A Drummer!

15. Rendog92

Rendog92

Jan 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Idk if its worth it lol. Those VMs sound good right off the bat. Nice neck, good pups, ok body at best.

16. tidnab

tidnab

Jan 21, 2009
    Simi Valley, CA
    I've recently also switched from drums to bass... having played for 20+ years ... just started bass 3 weeks ago, and it's pretty percussive... been learnin from MarloweDK on youtube lol...

Anyway.. yeah bass player is one of my best friends too... guys gotta be tight to groove lol...

best of luck to him... squier's a good place to start although I'd save the mod money and put it towards a fender fund (if he's a fender kinda guy)

17. I've been in that situation too. Classically trained musician, opting for the drums later on, but able to play strings and keyboards.

Did not mind playing with a self-taught bassist like me, or showing him a few things.

No big deal :)

18. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    What is there to say drummers love their hardware. Shiny, matte black, clear, they love hardware.

19. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Ain't that the truth... :D

20. Jamz

Jamz

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Yes we drummers do love our hardware. By the way I'm the roommate who just bought the bass. It's effin' awesome.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021