Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Think My Eden 410 XLT Has Problems!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Help Me, Bass Gods!

The last time I gigged my Eden 410 XLT with my SWR SM-500, I noticed that something wasn't quite right with the sound. I just hooked everything back up and there does, indeed, seem to be a problem. When I boost the low end to where I normally have it, the speakers start to fart (distort). And, I am not sure that all of the drivers are working. The two right-side speakers are working - they move when they make sound (though distorted at the low end). The others do not seem to move at all. I need advice and solace from those who have also had their Edens go south on them. Does this sound like a familiar scenario to anyone else?

Here are some things others may ask about:

1. The cables seem to work fine (1/4 inch and Speakon)
    2. I replaced the battery in my Sterling reamp
    3. I perceive no problems with my SM-500
    4. Volume levels are not excessive

Please respond! :bawl:

2. How old is your cabinet? I suggest that you open the cabinet and make certain that all the wiring is tight. If that's the case, I fear that you're speakers are getting old. You might have to re cone them or replace them.

good luck

Jorg

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I push my xlt's pretty hard and don't have that problem. Mine are only 1 year old though. Take it apart and check it out. Have you tried another head? It sounds odd that the speakers would just all of the sudden do that. In my experience with cabs, the speakers go downhill slowly, unless they had a spike of some sort.

4. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My cab is about two-to-three years old.

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Are any of the speakers jutting out a little? It might be a creased speaker which would require reconing. I had a similar issue with my Eden.

6. If the cab has been pushed hard, 2-3 years can damage a woofer. But to make certain, I'd suggest to open up the cabinet and check all the wiring first.

7. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I don't see any creasing as I know it. I had a SWR Goliath Jr. that had a ring around the cone where it creased, but I don't see any of that on the Eden drivers.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would suspect wiring issues too
    even damaged drivers usually move
    otherwise eden does reconing all the time - the biggest pain is waiting on the phone to get an RA # (return authorization)

9. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am going to have a friend do that for me.

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My Eden 410XLT's fart out, but only when I'm pounding on the B with more wattage than they can handle. Otherwise, they should be able to handle tons of power and low end.

11. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have a diagnosis! Thankfully I was able to get to my local speaker tech before he left town (if you need good work by a nice guy, see Steve at Speaker Restoration in Concord, CA). One driver was so fried that the cone did not budge at all. One other is questionable. There may also be damage to the crossover. My God, how disappointing! I guess it's time to move on to other, more robust cabinets. Thank you to all that responded!

12. sorry to hear that.

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Don't loose that Eden feeling. You may have been underpowering also. I have heard of more damage to a speaker this way than overpowering. I run my WT800 out of both channels into single 410xlt's so I am pumping 400 watts into each cabinet and they take it like a $5 *****, all night long.

14. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I was running an SM-500 in bridged mono. I believed that to be a good match as it's a 4 ohm cab. I guess I just overloaded it with tone?

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In your first post you mentioned that you normally boost the low frequencies on the amp. The speaker movement of any speaker is at it's greatest when fed low frequencies. In vented enclosures like the Eden, the speaker actually can actually move too far when the frequencies you send them are considerably lower than the tuned frequency of the cab. Eric mentioned his Eden fart on Low B, and it should. Low B has a fundamental frequency of 31Hz and the Eden's are tuned to 40Hz. This usually won't cause problems unless you are either running it very hard, or boosting low frequencies. If you're doing a bit of both, it was just a matter of time.

As for looking for more robust cabs, Eden are among the toughest out there. My suggestion is to get this one fixed, then buy a second cab to help it along. It's still 500W from the amp but with more speakers, the system is more efficient and therefore louder. The speakers will also couple to give you that low end boost you seem to like without using the EQ.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Petebass speaks the gospel. I have two Aguilar 4x10's and play pretty loud at times with a B-string bass. I can get by most gigs with one 4x10, but it stresses a bit at volume on the lower notes. When I bring both 4x10's, my volume knob is lower, my rig is louder, and any boosting of the bass knob is unnecessary. Its worth carrying more gear, to me at least.

17. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My normal setting on my SM is flat all around with a slight bump to the low graphic sliders. And, I only play a four string! I am just going to have to be careful the next time I use it. I would go get a second cab, but most of the venues I play don't have that much room, unfortunately. Maybe it's time to look at Accugroove? Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

18. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    O.k., so Scooby Doo and the gang have discovered that my speaker issues are the result of material failure and not my over-eager wanking. My speaker tech pulled apart the failed driver and found that some magnet thingee that is glued and screwed broke loose and shifted, causing general failure of the unit (that is about how much I absorbed of the detailed analysis). This is a defective driver, not a personal failure. I feel much better now!