1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think my Fender Precision MIM could be fake :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheche32, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    I bought a used Fender P-bass MIM on internet, sounded good to me, started with noise problems and when I was separating the body from the neck I found this: https://db.tt/ptsYDJvz

I got scammed??

Photos of the external:

http://imgur.com/a/aD0Ta

2. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The pickguard, tug bar and ashtray cover aren't original, but the rest looks a-ok.

3. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    I was told that in the wood at the base of the neck it should say "Fender" and a serial number. And the sticker with a different serial than the one printed next to the tunners dont match. Is that normal? ?

4. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    The bass is legit. Ashtray, tugbar and pickguard were changed. The bass looks better now and you donĀ“t need to worry.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Depends on the series of instrument. That's much more common on the MIJ instruments. I can't think of a MIM series that would have the stamp at the base of the neck but I'm sure there might be a reissue series that is like that. The sticker on the heel of that neck is likely just a production code not a serial number. Bass looks fine with the added hardware as has been mentioned.

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    nothing to worry about. looks legit to me.

7. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiu I love you guys! !!!!!

8. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    very nice.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Bass looks great. Congrats!

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If someone is going to counterfeit a bass, they'll put the effort into making it appear to be a US-made model. Financially, it's not worth anyone's while to fake a MIM Precision.

11. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    My idea is that someone maybe retired the decal of "Squier" and put a "Fender" or that someone put the neck of a Fender on a body and electronics of a Squier or similar

12. I doubt they would make a profit doing that.

I own a MIM Precision Bass myself (it's the first bass I ever bought), and after looking at the pictures of your bass, nothing makes it stand out as a fake. Like someone else has already said, they most likely swapped the pick guard, and drilled in the tug bar and ashtray (bridge cover).

Besides, if you were sold a fake, you could just report the seller, and get your money back.