1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think my guitarist and I both need attenuators.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Nov 15, 2006.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    As you all know, me & my guitarist love output distortion. Friggin' love it. Unfortunately, my friends have been sending me these comments about our last show:

So yeah, I think it's time that we invested in some attenuators. Particularly, this one:

[​IMG]

I've had lots of good experiences with Ted Weber & his products in the past, so I don't see why this wouldn't be just as good as his other products. My Sceptre is 60-80 watts, and is supposed to peak around 140 when overdriven, so this should be able to handle the wattage, correct? :help:

2. Were you in a small room?

3. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

Your pals are doing you a huge favor telling you the truth because if your plan is to grow an audience it will be extremely difficult to do so if people find your shows physically uncomfortable due to excessive sound levels. No matter how good your songs are.

On the attenuator issue: I would get lower wattage amps before going that route.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Don't you use a doubled rig? Howz 'bout using half for the shows?

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Man I dunno, that compliment/insult seems kinda cool. :D

I saw Sunn O))) in concert once, they were unbelievably loud but that was part of their schtick. I stood off to the side but still enjoyed it immensely.

Apparently in the early days of their madness, Swans used to purposely try to drive their audience out of the room and/or make them sick due to volume pollution. You have to respect that.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Sean,

An approach that worked well for me (albeit for guitar) was to purposely find and use less sensitive speakers than the EVs I started out with, and also using fewer of them. If you find the right ones, they can also tend to distort at lower volumes yet still sound cool. Ted Weber's definitely hip to this concept, talk to him. Maybe worth a thought at least...

Good luck, and listen to your friends while you can still hear 'em!

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    What about wiring one of your 2x15s with a mono/stereo input, like on Marshall's 4x12 guitar cabs? Have one input for the mono operation when you're using it as part of a bigger rig (i.e. both heads and both 2x15s), and a stereo input so you'd be running each head into just half of the 2x15. I don't know how much volume it would cut down on, but I'm sure it coul'dn't hurt.

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    It's not cheap but I remember bass player mag gave this a very positive review.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's kinda funny, because I asked alot of others who were at the show, and they said it wasn't too loud at all (including the soundman, and they usually give me crap for being too loud). It was just a select few, who I guess don't goto concerts that often. :meh:

The problem with making one of my cabs a stereo rig is that one cab is loaded with guitar speakers (that just happen to handle some bass), and the other is loaded with bass speakers. That wouldn't work out too well.

And the room wasn't really that small; it was bigger than most bars around here. It wasn't completely packed though, by any means.

Using the attenuator would be nice, because then I wouldn't have to drive the 200s as hard (which I want to keep clean). So right now that's still looking to be the best option for me right now.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego

Attached Files:

11. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I don't know if it was a factor at that gig but one thing about 15in speakers is that at higher frequencies they become very directional. It could be that those directly in front of the speakers get walloped while for those off axis it's not so bad. Where was the soundman positioned in relation to the guitar & bass rigs? Does he tend to stay put or get up and walk around a bit? Does he put you in the pa? Thinking about that might give you more idea about how accurate his impression of your volume is.

It's a real worry if you start driving your audience away. It's easy to see from on stage, just watch the punters and you can see when you're too loud. You want to be careful you're not too loud for the staff at some venues too, sure way to lose a gig. SPL meters are cheap and will tell you exactly how loud you are.

12. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hey, that looks like a swell piece of gear. That, plus a 50 or 60 W tube amp, might be a more practical substitute for hauling (and cranking to max) a high-wattage tube amp just to get the stoner grind. Maybe the Motherload plus a B15 head and a highly-efficient speaker cab?

13. hahaha agree with Munjibunga.

I think loud is good. If its too loud for your genre just put the volume down, simple as that :)

or just use it as an excuse to buy expensive hi-tech products. :p

14. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    And you'd have different cabinet impedances depending on how you split the drivers etc... may or may not make sense for ya. I say go with the attenuator.

SM

15. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    You know, I've been trying to find the leightest rig that I could because my back is finnicky. I also try to keep the volume down in the bands that I'm in. We all rely on our ears so much, and it would be a shame if someone posted a thread titled, "I think my guitarist and I both need hearing aids." Sure, the tone of an overdriven tube amp is wonderful, but not at the risk of permanent damage. This is an important topic, and one that should probably be talked about more.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The reverb knob? :confused:

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've noticed that as well, which is why i'm thinking about getting these for my speakers as well:

[​IMG]

They're pretty cheap (23 bucks), so I might give those a shot. Even for 15s, my Weber speakers are VERY bright, but only when standing directly in front of them.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    More bands lose return gigs by being too loud than for any other reason.

19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Instead of buying a piece of equipment why not just turn the equipment you have down? Seems to me to make logical sense, you're too loud you turn down, you talk too loud, you speak softer, you don't go out and buy something to put around your mouth do you? :D

20. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm thinking he wants the aggressive tone that cranking a tube amp will provide. You're from Brooklyn, if you want to tell somebody to go suck an egg, do you use a gentle voice?