1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think my ibanez is wrecked.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by the wako kid, May 23, 2012.

1. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I have an ibanez gsr 105ex.it's cool,but if you even look at the neck wrong,it bows out.It doesn't bother me,and I've adjusted the truss rod twice now.yesterday I went to lower the action on it and managed to get it super low across avery string except D and G,which buzzed terribly after I lowered them.when I raised them back up,I had to put them higher than they originally were to make them stop buzzing,and the bass now plays great across all other strrings except those two,which are hard as hell to fret.I can't tell if the neck is bowed on the treble side,because my depth perception in my left eye is messed up. it's really annoying to have to apply different amounts of pressure across the strings,so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Go through a step by step setup routine as stated in the setup stickies at the top of the forum. If you can't get the action where you want it, you'll likely need fret work. Use your right eye to look at both sides of the neck if your left is no good!

3. If you aren't comfortable with how to do a setup, take it to someone who is. You could make things much worse doing it wrong.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I'm in agreement with both of the responses above.

Caveat: this is a $200 bass. It would probably need at least that much in fretleveling & setup, to make it play any better than, "adequate".

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Are you merely eyeballing your entire setup?

Unless your REALLY good at doing setups, don't eyeball them, go get some tools and do some measurements. Especially on a bass of that "quality".

If you cannot get it setup or cannot get that setup to stay, sell the bass for $50 and put it towards a new bass.

6. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I don't think any instrument is ruined ever. There is threads on the luthiers corner of people salvaging basses that have been in floods and fires. I did not read anything in your post saying you tried to adjust the saddle height. So once you get your neck to a relief that you like adjust the saddle height. If you think your neck is twisted a little bit (which it probably is most necks are) that's ok. If its twisted severely that's another story.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

+1 but sometimes the cost of repair outweighs the cost of a new entry level instrument. Then you have one to experiment on.

By no means am I saying this is the case with the bass in question. A proper setup is in order first. No tools need to buy; A piece of business card to measure relief, drop the E till it buzzes, raise it, Then set the others to follow neck arc, test for buzzing, adjust. Then you will have a feel if you can live with it or not. If so, intonate and enjoy.

Yup, A neck can have a twist in it and still be useable. You'll know when it is not.

8. If it's a cheapo bass, the neck might not have enough tension to hold. You'll end up maxing out the truss rod before you get it to behave. You can try lighter gauge strings - but if the neck is just not very strong, it will probably be a real challenge to keep in shape.

You can try things like shimming, if it's a bolt-on - but again, if the neck itself is weak, it's weak.

It might even be slightly twisted - which as I understand things, is a pretty hard, and costly thing to fix. Certainly more than the bass is worth.

It should be brought to someone who can tell him what's up. Trying to do your own fretwork or continually cranking the truss and tweaking the saddles could lead nowhere or worse.

9. Don't try to fix something when you don't know what needs fix'in. If you can't tell what is wrong with it, take it to someone who can.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Maxed out trussrod = add a washer; no more maxed trussrod.

I don't believe in weak necks if they have a trussrod and aren't twisted badly. Maybe you have to adjust them more, so what? Don't think for a minute that big name players' hired gun guitar techs aren't constantly tweaking their bosses' basses'.

Edit: Rocky, I take issue with that. When I began playing in the 70's I lived where no tech was close and I didn't have money anyway. So I learned by doing it and a little book. Now there's TB with stickies, approved methods. I think all bassists should learn how to do it. Mainly because the stress our long necks are under cause frequent shifting that requires regular maintenance.

11. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I can maintain my p-bass just fine,and the fretwork seemed okay when I got it,but it's just being a POS. I can leave my substantially cheaper P out overnight,and it may change from a blizzard to heat stroke weather without neck bow,but this bass bows out if the temp changes from 75 to 85.I know how to do my truss rod,and I know how to adjust action and intonation and everything else,this bass is just a bastard.

and I've had it for month.it's neede more adjustments than the ****** johnson bass has needed in threee years.

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Heh heh heh! Does anyone you know need a paddle?

13. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    or an 8 pound paperweight with a humbucker and strap?

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Did you buy it new? Contact Ibanez, or your dealer. You may get compensation or a replacement if its under warranty.

15. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I think I will. trade it back to GC and get a squier affinity jazz 5,and be happy with my life.

16. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Now you're talking! Just select the Squier carefully and you'll love it.

17. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    the ibanez was picked out for me,and it's been some major grief.I wanted a douglas 5 but my sister bought the ibanez for me because it was a little cheaper.I wasn't there when she bought it,or I would have got a jazz for the same price and gotten much better qc for the price,better wood,and that versatile jazz sound.

18. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    fixed the neck after gewtting a second opinion on the way it was bowed.it was %100 straight and still has buzz issues.it's officially gone as of this weekend.

19. watch out for sibling fighting because of you returning it.... :eek:

20. What do you mean by 100% straight? There should be a little relief. A perfectly straight neck will certainly have buzzing.

Seems moot, however. Getting rid of it and getting a different instrument just sounds like a good idea.