I think my pick ups died

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bodom_bass398, Feb 16, 2006.

1. bodom_bass398

Dec 8, 2002
    nj usa
    Ok so I plug in my bass and there's no sound. It's not the chord or amp because my other bass works just fine. I figure it's something in the electronics. I have an ESP LTD F-254 with EMG pick ups. The only way I get a sound is if i turn the volume all the way up on the bass and the amp and play really hard. The sound I get is more of a percussive sound that quickly fizzles out. I'm probably going to take it in to the shop on Sunday, but I was wondering if anyone had any input before I take it to be fixed.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Is your other amp active? Just to be ridiculous, is there any way to try this bass with different chord into a completely different amp/speaker cab/combo amp? And of course, Figjam's dead battery first.

4. +1 dead battery. Or could by a wiring problem. Replace the battery if you have an active system, if not don't panic - bring it to a shop and have them take a look. Could just need a a little solder.

Good luck!
  5. if it is an active bass, it really does sound like a dead battery.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Yeah, I 'll say if its active change the battery too. It could also be possible that you have a wire that is barely hanging by a thread in there. I mean almost completely detached. If you have no experience, take it to a local shop and have them open it up in front of you and watch closely.
  8. i thought so. i didnt think ive ever seen pasive EMG's before, but wasn't sure.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also just i think i remmber the bass he is talking about about; active eq
  10. Try jiggling the cable in thge input. You could check the input jack wiring by unscrewing the plate around the input and checking the wiring. I've had some problems with bad soldering and faulty wires.

Its probably just a dead battery or something though
  11. dead bat.....happens to me with my spector a lot
  12. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    they do have passive EMGs...there called EMG-HZ4...there on the Kirk Hammett Signature guitars on www.espguitars.com. semi active, but require no battery.