Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think my roomate is very strange about his bass.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The other day my roomate, whom i have been living with for almost 2 years, asked me to borrow some wire cutters. He then apparently took out a really good 5 string bass he had in his closet to change a string. Apparently he has always had this thing and just never bothered to tell me about it.

I asked him how much that thing cost, and he said around $1500. I was pretty excitied because i'm used to playing my sub par 300$ bass, so i asked him if i could play it later. But he told me i can't "play any of that crazy slapp stuff" on it because he really likes the bass and dosn't want to ruin it.

I couldn't help but wounder that you would think for $1500 a bass could withstand someone actually playing it. So i'm woundering what the deal is here. Why have a bass like that if you arn't even going to play it? And to be honest, he has all these expensive basses, but he NEVER plays. If i had the kind of resources like him to be able to afford things like this i'd never leave my room. What do you guys think?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think it's his bass and if he doesn't want you to play "crazy slap stuff" on it, that's his prerogative. Maybe he doesn't want the finish scratched. It is HIS bass, after all.

Heck, if he wanted to pile them up and set them on fire, he could do that, too.

Honestly, I'd worry less about what your roommate does with his stuff. He probably has his reasons, and he doesn't really need to explain them if he doesn't feel like it.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Chill out. I'm not worried about what he does with his stuff, i'm just making conversation.

I was unaware that slapping could do any damage like that.

4. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Maybe your playing intimidates him?

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    IME - Slapping leaves marks on the end of the fret board from the strings. My bass has 'em. If he has a high end bass, and he doesn't slap, then I fully understand why he doesn't want you slapping on it. It's the same reason that I would never slap a bass that is for sale at a music shop - it's not mine, I don't get to scar it up.

BTW - Is this a real story, or are you just making conversation? There are inconsistencies in your story that I just don't get. (1st paragraph you are shocked that he has a nice bass - last paragraph you say he has a whole bunch of nice basses. Why was he changing 1 string? Was it broken? How'd he break it if he babies his stuff? How'd he break it if he never plays?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think you all might be slapping a little too vehemently. :meh:

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    It's a true story. I wasn't shocked that he had a nice bass, i'm shocked that he has had this thing the whole time we have lived together and i have never seen it. I am aware that has a couple other nice basses along with a bunch of nice guitars.

How or why the string was broken was beyond me.

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I get a little nervous when people touch my basses too. So I would say don't take it personally.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There are worse things you could find your roomate doing.....

Oh god yesterday was terrible. :(

Peace
    Nick

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It's his bass.

He can:

Shower with it

Put it in a car seat

Share it with a girl

Sleep with it in his bed

or anything else

========

You are his room'ie not his bass
    so why do you care, again?

========
    Edit:
    PS my wife is still trying to figure out
    why I haven't told her about all the basses in my closet
    and I have been married for 24 years. :ninja:

If you aren't married to roomie, you aren't entitled to
    know, it ain't your biz. PERIOD.

Buy your own 5

And put in in your closet, etc.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Some people are like that about their stuff. Just gotta give the man his space with the instruments. I barely let anyone, including my best friend(of 8 years)/guitarist/now bassist buddy touch my only nice bass. He understands it. I used to work in a music store and handled multiple thousand dollar guitars on a daily basis. So he trusts me a bit more as far as that goes. It's just personality traits. My drummer used to be a bit hesitant about his kit and me, but he lets me fool around now. Especially since I really know more about the mechanics and such than about playing them.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I DIDNT until today when 2 people "played" my bass. One is a guitar player who stinks and he wacked the headstock numerous times, and one is a newb bassist who wacked everything possible. Also doesnt help that my brother knocked over my bass once, and my drummer did. Yes, today not a good day.

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    when its mint then you treat it like a baby but after the first few scratches you start to get comfortable with it...my stingray is still mint after two years which is a little annoying...anyone want to bitchslap it a round a little!

....i also hate people who leave the feature stickers on front of their new hifis and the clear plastic that protects lcd displays....some people keep them on for years....anal or what...and when i peel them off without them asking then they want to kill me...go figure!! :p

now I have bought a brand new top of the line Gibson Les Paul Custom for about 2000usd ...brought it home ....then my next door neighbour wanted to try it out. Sure why not...so he spent the next half hour doing some pretty good jimmy page impressions and then left. It was only later that i had discovered that he must have been wearing some kind of huge belt buckle under his shirt because he left huge indentation bruises in the rear finish which will never come out. After my initial shock and a little time i was ok about it because it was on its way to becoming a guitar with character and a story to tell ! :)

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nobody plays my bass without my immediate supervision. I generally let people who ask to play have a go at it, what with a bunch of musician friends and all.

15. My P-bass is a part of me when I play, and I don't want something to happen to it that I wouldn't want happen to me. That aside, there is nothing wrong with a few "battle scars" here and there. :bassist:

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I used to record people in the basement of the house I used to live in. One time this guy had a great rickenbacker and i asked him if i could check it out. He said sure, handed it over, i fiddled with it a bit, then went to slap and he grabbed my arm and said, "I don't want you slapping it!" I asked why not? He said "I don't want anybody playing any of that ni**er s**t on my bass!" I asked if he was serious, and he was. I handed the bass back to him.

Had nothing to do with damaging the bass, it was a completely and bizzarly predjudiced thing.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would have kicked him out of my house and not recorded him.

I cant stand people like that.

Peace
    Nick

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Quite so. I would have told him to get out, too.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i need to choose my battles wisely. although i agree with your sentiment, it was best at the time to ignore the comment, finish the job and just be done with it.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A racist backlash would probably be the last thing you needed (or need), but if I were you, I would have asked him to not speak the rest of the session. Y'know, fibbed at told him I needed silence for the proper recording mojo. Even if it was a 4 track.