Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think my truss rod broke

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I didnt know where to put this so Im putting it here.

While I was inotating my bass, I think my truss rod snapped or something. I didnht hear anything, but I can move the truss rod back and forth with no resistance, and it I do not see a change in the bowing of the neck. also, if I shake the bass, I hear a rattle noise. If the truss rod is broken, I know there is no way of fixiing it, and Im ganna have to get a new bass. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :( :( :(

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    ouch...what kind of bass?

3. it's an Alverez 4 string, cant remember the model, I had ot for like 4 years. So, is the truss rod broken? I kinda need to know now, so I can gather my money together and get a new bass asap

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Setup forum, but they don't take kindly to truss rod questions that have been asked multiple times. Just take a look at the stickies (@the top of the forum).

And yes, you broke your trussrod. And yes, that sucks.

5. damnit!!!!!!

This is just f*cking great!

6. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Sorry, man, that really blows. Will the pocket accept a Fender style replacement neck?

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You might also try to get a replacement neck for it...
    either way, that does suck...

8. Yeah - that does suck... Were you adjusting the truss rod for intonation? The truss rod is for neck bow - bridge saddle depth is for intonation.

9. Hey,

I need 2 1/2'' neck replacement for my bass. The truss rod broke today, so I'm ganna order a new neck. Any suggestions?

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, out of curiosity, why were you using the truss rod (if you were) for intonation?

Oops, Woofenstein just covered that

11. Thats what I meant to say. I was bowing the neck. I was made I typed the wrong thing in

12. I'm in Chattanooga Tennesee.

I meant to say i was bowing the neck noit inototaing it. I was made I typed in the wrong thing. I was looseing the neck.

13. Sorry, the truss rod is 100% snapped.

14. I tighten the nut, no difference what so ever. I also took the neck off, and there is alot of rattleingf when I shake the neck.

15. Ouch! Thats a sure sign right there... hmmm, my friend did this with his ibanez a while ago and he thought he'd broken his rod, in the end, the rod was fine but the grooves and all broken off/dissapeared so the rod was useless.

Get yourself a new neck and remember, you get what you paid for! So get a good neck!

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  17. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I snapped mine on my Peavey tl-6 NECKTHROUGH. good luck!

18. Not a problem...the trussrod anchor on most neck-throughs is located up the neck towards the body...the procedure should be the same, only you're pulling the rod through the headstock.

Remember! This ONLY works for a single action truss-rod. If the trussrod is one of those double actions, you'll never get her out this way. The only way on a double action is to lift the ENTIRE fretboard....

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL