1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think that I accidentally joined a band.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hey guys. It's been a long time since I've been around here... it's been a long time since I've even really played much bass.

I played in college (I'm 30 now) but since then haven're gigged at all. Just noodled around once in a while since grad school, then full time work, etc., all seemed to take priority.

My girlfriend and I moved in together in November and I still have all of my bass equipment from back when (4 or 5 basses, SWR 4x10, SWR 15'' Workingman's, Mesa 400+, a couple practice amps, etc).

I was moving all of that stuff in when my new neighbor came out with his dog. turns out he's in a band. Rad. He wants to drink beers and jam sometime. Rad.

I let him know that it's been years since I've played, he's cool with it.

Last week he invited me to their band's practice space. he invited me along. I let him know that I'm going to embarrass myself because it's been such a long time since I've played at all, especially with other people. He doesn't seem to care and I tag along.

Turns out they're a rock band and their songs are pretty easy. i was able to hobble through three of their songs, rooting my way through it, the first time I heard them. Then able to root and throw in a couple cheesy little runs the second time.

The music is fun. Nothing incredible, and not the kind I generally listen to, but it's not horrible. It's good "bar rock."

Turns out they're looking for a bass player (surprise!) and want me to come back. I'm really interested in playing but I'm limited in the investment I want to put in to this.

I said so much to my neighbor and he seems cool with it, but I don't know if he's just agreeing with me because they're desperate for a bass player, or if he's agreeing with me because he really has no aspirations beyond playing local bars and practicing once or twice a week, because that's about all I'm willing to do.

I don't want to get them relying on me too much and then having to find a replacement because they discover that I'm actually serious when I say that I just want to have a little fun playing music once in a while locally.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how to approach this... I dont' want to come off as a jerk, because they're nice people and I do enjoy playing and I had a lot of fun. But I just want to make sure that my boundaries don't become too big of an issue for them and that they understand that when I say that I'm not going to take it all that seriously, that I'm telling the truth.

The best part was that I got to hear my 400+ really sing for the first time in a very long time. That was nice :)

Thanks guys, sorry for the long rant!

joe

2. Sounds cool! It's nice when these things come put of nowhere. Just state your intentions early so there are no bad vibes if it comes out that you and the rest of the band are on different pages.

Have fun!

3. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    What he said.....

Be clear on exactly what you will or won't commit to. Once that's clear, if they offer you the gig, make sure you always stick your guns on the commitment you made and don't let things be pushed on you "under the radar". Call them out if they try to change your commitment.

4. Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I'm not a fan of drama, so I just want to try and get ahead of it if there's going to be any. I like my neighbor a lot and don't want to mess that up, so hopefully it all works out well.

joe

5. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I've got to say that I love this thread title.

6. ;)

I know it seems odd, but in all honesty I wasn't looking to join a band and didn't know when I went to "jam" that I was actually going to try out for their bass player spot.

I was a little flattered, and actually kind of proud of myself. I mean, honestly, it's been at least 7 years or so since I've even played. In that time I jammed like 4 times with a drummer, but we didn't mesh all that well and I felt that I'd lost everything. I was accustomed to playing CAKE songs my acoustic guitar after a few beers, and that's about it.

I was never that great to begin with, but just liked having fun playing covers. I took lessons for a bit which really helped me peak, but soon after that I all but quit.

I was able to play a few of their songs all the way through after hearing them only once. They were simple, sure, and I mainly hammered the root, but I thought I was just going to be standing there with a stupid look on my face trying to remember how to play anything.

joe

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    In about 16 months you'll be on tour in a crappy mini-van, addicted to heroin, and your girlfriend will have left you after you gave her an STD. That's how rock bands work. It'll be fun.

8. yep just be up front with the WHOLE band about your goals and availability. Make sure everyone gets the message. Don't count on your neighbor to do it for you.

9. So, You've laid out your limitations, told them exactly where your head is at, had a blast...

What's the problem again?

If you've laid it on the line, just roll with it until you don't want to. They might not want to be serious either. After playing with them a couple of times, you might actually find that you actually WANT to play more! And maybe even commit! :bassist: Nobody says you have to get married after the first date.

I'd just roll with it. Keep being honest, show up when you can, have fun! What are they gonna do? Fire you?

...Sounds like fate has placed you in your perfect situation. Congrats! :D

10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    It's possible you are better than you think. I've underrated myself before, too.

11. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    There are worse possible things you could be doing, you know....