I Think That I'm Going To Get Me A Squier

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ebozzz, May 6, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I finally broke down and got a professional setup on my American Deluxe Jazz. It was already a very nice bass but now this bass is smokin'! It's hard to believe that it sounded good with the poor setups that I was doing on it. Now it's so easy to play and the tone just knocks me out. You know what I'm going to do next? I'm going to get me a used Squier. For what reason you ask? I've got to get better at setups and I'd much rather experiment on an inexpensive piece than my better stuff. Not that an MIA Jazz is terribly expensive now. ;)

I've got some real good books regarding guitar maintenance but I'm just a little apprehensive about applying what I've learned on the current basses that I own. A Squier or some other inexpensive bass may be the best learning tool that I can get my hands on. Especially if I can get one at $100.00 or less. Does this approach make sense to anyone else?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is really nothing short of stripping a truss rod that can't be undone as far as set up goes. So, you aren't really risking anything except the existing setup by experimenting.

Second, every instrument has its own character. Just because you get a great setup on one bass, does mean it is going to be easy on the next one.

Part of learning to set up YOUR instrument is learning its quirks and such.

I have had Fenders that needed 1/4 turn of the truss to make a difference, others that needed 3/4. My G&L never needed more than an 1/8 turn.

Same goes with saddle positions and such. They all react differently when setting intonation, action. etc. Even the same brands can be different.

It would certainly be a great experience to experiment with a Squire, but you'll be learning all over again when you start working with another bass.

Overall, all experience is good. Besides it sounds like as good a reason as any to buy a bass.

Good luck.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for you insight Chas. I guess what I'm afraid of doing is messing up the good setups that I already have. Having something cheap to play around with will give me the opportunity to learn from my mistakes on an instrument that probably won't be used for very much other than it's intended purpose. Eventually, I would even like to get into some upgrades also. I agree with you though. Each instrument will have it's own little nuances.

You busted me. :) The bottom line is that I wanted another bass anyway. Now if I can just get my wife to believe my "learning how to do setups" story! :D