Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think this guy is BSing me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 15, 2005.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Do cabs have fuses in them?

Are heads calibrated to cabs?

I know that tubes and fuses are changed but I'm curious if heads are setup specifically for different cabs. I don't mean any Eqing and I'm not referring to mating amps and cabs of similar ohms.

a guy at my church doesn't want me to hook my SWR amp through his swr cab (6x10) because he said something about sound waves and something being calibrated and if I hook my amp up it was mess something up. (his cab and my amp are both 4 ohms).

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I've heard of such things, but not in this day and age. Amp makers know that people are much more likely to switch amp heads and cabs around, and to make an amp specifically to be used with ONE cabinet renders it no better than a combo.

Heck, they rarely even specifically match heads and cabs into a commercial stack anymore. I'd say if the ohm ratings are ok, and the wattage isn't scary, and ESPECIALLY since it's the same brand and all, you're probably ok.

Now, if you were talking about a 60s acoustic head or something, I might understand what he was talking about, but even then... we're only talking about odd ohm ratings and such...

I dunno. I'm relatively new to this non-combo world myself, but I've done a lot of research, and I personally wouldn't be concerned.

3. I think you are correct

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't know about the calibration thing,never heard of it. Some cabs w/horns or tweeters in them have a fuse. Mine does.

5. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    Let me clarify...

This guy has an SM-900 head (tube preamp\ SS power) and a 6x10 goliath cab. I was wondering what he was talking about cause he mentioned calibrating and something about signals in the form of a wave pattern (something about soundwaves? that a cab receives from the head?)

I knew he was BSing. He said I couldnt plug my bass into his head because my bass wasn't setup properly to play through his amp. I looked at him disgusted. (on top of that, it was a passive bass).

He then said that he switched from his eden setup to SWR because the SWR setup was at 4ohms, and that the church's massive PA system was at 4ohms and it would be better if he matched it.

Again... I looked at him as if he were stupid. He's not... he just talks a lot of BS i guess to make it seem complicated to me.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    What the F? He said this with a straight face?

If he doesn't want you using his gear, he should just say so. It's not like the Goliath is some super complex hybrid cab/star trek transporter pad. It's a freakin' box with six drivers in it.

7. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I've dealt with people like that. They go under my "crappy people" section of my AIM buddy list. Somehow they think they know everything.

I say you slap him for being a jerk and not letting you try his setup. I'd let anyone try my setup because it is indestructible. I can say the same for his rig. I just wouldn't go and put a drink on it or something crazy like that.

8. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    He is full of what Santa's reindeer leave on rooftops, and I don't mean hoofprints. Feel free to quote me, and don't be afraid to do so in the vernacular. In fact, please do.

10. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    The sm900 mated with the 6x10 never really gets pushed past 2\3 volume and 1\3 gain. Its a decent sized church but our PA system is $20,000 so you can imagine that we have enough monitors, poweramps, a huge mixing board, and plenty of mics and crossovers. I have pushed my 4004 through his 6x10s pretty hard just to see how loud the volume would get. 400 watts (probably more like 320 because I hear SWR overrates wattage. can anyone confirm this?) is plenty enough power for the church.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is for a church? Well tell that guy that God thinks he's a douchebag. Then yell, "Merry Christmas, Sparky!" and kick him in the sack.

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I beg to differ.

He just doesn't want you using his stuff. Next time you see him at church, make a big show of sneezing into your hands, then lean on his perfectly calibrated cabinet. Giggle quietly as the top of his head blows off.

13. He sounds like he could enlighten everyone over in the 'Ohms FAQ' thread

14. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    hahaha LOL

15. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i think they guy just hates you and doesnt want you using his stuff.lol

-Jake

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Drop Eden for SWR? He's Crazy!!!!!!!
    BTW I just checked the site and every single one of thier amps, including the Nemesis silver series, can handle a 4 ohm load. I don't think he has ever owned an Eden. Lying in church of all things.

17. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    He's pulling your chain. Practice lots and whup him. Its a freshman - senior thing.

Years ago, there were audiophiles afraid to hook up a CD player to their systems out of fear that the digititis would ruin them. Utter hogwash.

It is all cool, the day guys quit hassling guys, we're doomed as a race.

18. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    obviously.. :crying:

Thats okay because by this time next year I hope to be passing him up skill wise. He's been playing for like 6 years and I have been seriously working hard on my skills and playing for about a year (2 years total).

19. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    No, he is well beyond stupid. Moronic to the 10th degree would be more like it. Right up there with the intellectual skills of a foot fungus! Biggest load of total crap I have heard in YEARS.

- Tim

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

and a shame that someone in church is doing this to you. :meh: