1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think this is a 1994-1995 Fender Jaguar Bass but not sure

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ppiluk, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

I just picked up Fender Jaguar Bass in a trade today. I am confident that it is a Fender but I am not sure if the headstock and the body are from the same Bass. The quality of both does seem to indicate that they are both likely Fender parts. The bass is says “Made in Japan”and when I look the serial number up it comes back as from 1994or 1995.

Can anyone give me some more information about this Bass. Thank you for reading my post.

20170820_214605567_iOS. 20170820_214601900_iOS. 20170820_214610334_iOS.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The very first Fender Jaguar was released in 2006. The neck looks like it is off one of these basses. My guess is the body is the Modern Player Jaguar but that is only a guess.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    ppiluk likes this.
  3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    The Japanese Jags were J/J with switches for each pickup and serial and a switch at the top for active/passive. It looks like that's a Squier Jag with a 2006 to2008 neck as the headstocks were matching to the body.

ppiluk likes this.
  4. Thank you...I double checked the serial number and it is more likely from 2007 or 2008 rather than 1994 or 1995.

5. I was thinking either Squier body or Fender body but not the original.

6. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Could be Fender body

ppiluk likes this.
  7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Pretty sure the neck is off the original Jag (I own one) because of the headstock logo. I'm guessing a Modern Player body due to the 3 ply pickguard and what looks like brass saddles.

ppiluk likes this.
  8. I think this is the most likely answer.

9. I own a Red CIJ Jaguar, the neck of your bass looks like the one of mine. The body definitely not, mine has a ton of switches in the upper and lower horn areas, I believe your bass is a mix.

ppiluk likes this.
  10. I believe you are right...

11. If you need my serial number, let me know. In any case, Fender Consumers Support should provide you with full specs when you giving them your bass serial number.

ppiluk likes this.
  12. Thank you...I appreciate it!

13. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    As others said.
    Neck is an original CIJ
    The body looks like a Modern Player, the hardware is identical to mine.
    I can understand someone putting these two item together, active stuff is not everyones thing and those CIJ necks are superb.

ppiluk likes this.
  14. bass40hz

bass40hz Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    Those P pups (split coils) look like Duncans also, dont think they are original.
    But I could be wrong, wouldn't be first time, or the last I am sure ;-)

ppiluk likes this.
  15. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I had an original but it did not have the P/J set up - I don't think this was an option yet, it was essentially a J Bass.

ppiluk likes this.
  16. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    You are right about the body - and the neck (and 2006).
    I was too lazy to scroll down to see if anyone else has said this part yet, but the early ones had wonky serial numbers that read as thoughthy wer from 94-95.

ppiluk likes this.
  17. I noticed that the polls in the P-Pickup and they definitely look like they could be Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-Bass but I won't know for sure until I pull the pickguard off.

18. Just an update for everyone who provided me with information. I took the bass to my guitar tech and he was able to verify a few things. Firstly, the neck is from a Red Jaguar bass and the body is from a Modern Player. He was also able to confirm that the P pickup is a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. When I questioned him about the lack of markings he informed me that it's possible this pickup came out of a Roger Waters Precision Bass because some versions of this bass included this pickup without any Seymour Duncan markings.

Thank you all for your help on identifying what has turned out to be a very nice find!

Zoobiedood likes this.