Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think this is impossible in a live situation :o

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I wrote a song, being as creative as possible. I need the following:

Initial note
    5th of the intial note
    one octave up from the initial note
    one octave up from the fifth.

I want the initial and the fifth to play at the same time, but I want the other two to play on a delay. I don't think this is possible live. But if anyone could find a way, I'd be a appreciative.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I believe you can do everything but the octave up of the 5th with an Akai Uni-bass.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A pitch shifter set on low 4th into an OC-3 in poly mode.
    Seems like a lot of hassle for not much difference in tone. YOu're not bringing any coloration to the root with 5ths and octaves.

4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    If you saw the rest of the piece, you'd know why I need it. But thank you muchly.

5. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Use 2 harmonizers. the first adds the 5th into you sound, then the second to reproduce that an ocave above.

not sure which pedals you'd have to use, but I'm sure someone here would have an idea... :D

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Boss PS-5 (?)

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Easy, just use four musicians!

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Bass
    >clean>amp 1>cab
    >Whammy set to octave up>Delay>amp 2>cab

Set the delay long enough to make everything distinct. Then play the root then the 5th.

Might work :smug:

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    My updated solution is sorta like that:

Either play the root and 5th (power chord) or use a harmonizing pedal to add the 5th to the signal to fake it. Then get your guitarist to play the power chord of the root you play (which would be an octave up) slightly after you (creating the illusion of delay).

eg. You play the low E and the B on the A string (or have a pedal add the B to the signal), and the guitarist would play his low E5 power chord

hope I make sense

10. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    It seems simple to me, unless I'm reading it wrong.

-Use a pitch shifter to generate the fifth in real time.
    -Send the output of that to a delay unit with seperate wet and dry outputs.
    -Send the wet output of the delay to another pitch shifter shifting the root/fifth combination up an octave. If this pitch shifter has a wet/dry control, that would be ideal.
    -Recombine the signals as needed.

Make sense?

11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Or just buy a more sophisticated modulation effect. I'm pretty sure my Lexicon LXP-5 can do that with user patch.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use a similar effect but with 2 or 3 more notes (2 going to a pitch specified by my expression pedal) on my GT-6B's pitch shifter. Very good tracking, even down to the low B.

13. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    let the organ player do It lool

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Tap them using two hands?

15. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Cant you just make it slightly different for the live version?

I personally like some variations between live and studio versions of the songs.

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Bass-->Whammy (or other Pitch Shifter)-->Looper Send-------------------------------------------->Looper Return-->Amp
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|-> EHX POG (or other octave generator)-->Delay-------|

That ought to work. The EHX POG is pricey but it's the best in the business.

17. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    2 pitch shifters and a delay with a wet out.

But I'd say try to do it with harmonics and tapping first. I hate having to rely too much on effects. I say if you can't play it live acoustic, then you should rework it until you can (anything goes on the album, of course).