1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I think this obsession is unhealthy(Sadowsky/Fender content)...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass6811, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sell or Trade the Jazz, get a Sadowsky, and shut up...

66 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Put some new guts in the Jazz, FORget the Sadowsky, and shut up...

26 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Keep the Jazz, eat ramen noodles til I can afford a Sadowsky, have both, and shut up...

92 vote(s)
    42.8%
  4. Really, just shut up(I cannot believe I'm giving you guys this as an option ;-))

31 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I've never seen one in person(that I can recall), much less, played one, but I have become completely obsessed with getting a Sadowsky. Now, they've been on my GAS list for as long as I've known about them, but I've always managed to repress my need for Fender-esque basses until recently. I woke up one day a few months ago a decided that it was time for a Fender, since I'd never owned one in the 20+ years I've been plucking around on these things. It just happened to coincide with a band change. I went from a modern/hard rock group to a top-40/pop/70's-today group. I sold my USA Spector Forte5 and my Modulus Q5W and bought a MusicMan StingRay 5HH and an American Deluxe Jazz Bass V. I love both of these basses(except for the gold hardware on the 'Ray, but that's another story), but every time I pick up the Jazz, all I keep thinking is "I wish this was a Sadowsky!". Here's the other thing, I know if I were to get a Sadowsky, I'd probably opt for an M5-24, which is probably the least Jazz Bass-sounding Jazz bass in their lineup.

Another "issue" would be I'd have to be looking at a Metro, which probably isn't an issue at all, but only you guys & gals that own them can answer that for me, but I don't have the flow for an NYC Sadowsky.

Yeah, I could swap p/ups & electronics in the Jazz, but I don't hate the way my Jazz sounds or plays(it is a bit noisy though, which is irritating but manageable and fixable). I just think I'd be happier with a Sadowsky??

So, should I:

1) Sell or trade the Jazz, get a Sadowsky, and shut up...

2) Put some new guts in the Jazz, FORget the Sadowsky, and shut up...

3) Keep the Jazz, eat ramen noodles til you can afford a Sadowsky, have both, and shut up...

4) Just shut up(Can't believe I'm giving you guys this option-:D)

Other than finishing my pedalboard, getting a Sadowsky is all I think about, bass-wise. It's a bit disturbing...

Thanks!

2. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    you should find some place to play one before you spend that kind of money. just because you think you'll like something doesn't mean you'll actually like it. that's a LOT of money to just shove at something you've only read about on the internet.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1 or 4. And shut up. :D

4. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I can almost guarantee that once you get a sadowsky you will slowly become obsessed with something else new and exciting. It happens to all of us. Best to just live with the want.

5. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    as some one who has called Sadowsky just a fender copy,and was called out on if I had played one,which I had,but I did not like it & it was some years ago.I made it a point to play one again, well I did get to play a pile of them at the bass club Chicago & I found one that just turned my crank & if I had the cash I would have bought it.
    20130723_141633_zpsc4d48e89.
    chitownJuly2013309_zpse6e85eee.
    I say play one first,then get one.

6. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I totally agree witcha', but I'm almost positive there isn't a Sadowsky of any kind within 100 miles of me. That makes the "try one first" thing really difficult.

It's a "Fender"-style bass that almost everyone that plays one seems to love. I've heard enough and seen enough YT clips to surmise that, at the very worst, it'll sound just like what I've already got, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

You are right, though, it IS a bunch of money, even for a Metro, and I would love to try one out, I just don't think that's gonna be feasible. :meh:

7. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Well, it's about 200 miles from where I live in Indiana to Chicago. I could try to make a day out of it and head up there...

Maybe I can try one out???

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    If you buy direct from Sadowsky they have a 7 day return policy.

9. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Well, it's about 200 miles from where I live in Indiana to Chicago. I could try to make a day out of it and head up there...

Maybe I can try one out???

looks like you have a plan! I came out from Detroit made a weak of it.

10. Sell the Jazz, get a Sadowsky. You can always find another Fender Jazz down the road if you miss having one.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Pbass - you might want to check with some of the TB folks in the Cincinnati area. I think I remember one of them having a Sadowsky they were going to bring to a CGT last year. If so maybe they would let you try it out before you buy one. An alternate route is Guitar Center, if you can find a used one there they have a 30 day return policy.
    Good luck with the GAS, I have it for a Sadowsky and an AC as well.

12. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I would be patient and wait for a used Metro in the classfieds. I have 2 Metros and they are great basses. NYC money is not neccessary unless you can afford and want specific upgrades. I've done this few times. Buy via paypal/CC at a fair price. If you don't like what you bought, move it on and you'll probably just eat PP fees and shipping. If you like, sell the Fender and pay down the card.

I've owned a few Fenders and I have liked, but I prefer Sadowsky. The 2 band preamp is simple to find the tones I'm after. You could change out for Sadowsky electronics, but I prefer the neck on my RV4 and the smaller body. The build quality is excellent. Both Sadowsky's I own setup and play better than the Fenders I've owned with very stable necks. I would rather have the whole instrument than a modded one.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I have four Sadowskys and have owned 30 overall. I think there is no better bass for the bassist who gigs and records. Practically plug and play. Killer tone in a band context or recorded, expertly assembled. Don't hesitate

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    M5-24 would have been good in your old band, not sure it'll work in the new. Metro JJ ash/maple would kill though.

And swap the ray HH for a ray H so you can get that shiny parallel tone you are missing now. You'll never miss the neck pickup because you'll use the sadowsky whenever you want a fat supportive tone.

15. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    This is, indeed, a valid point...

Everyone has come up with some very good points. I appreciate you guys giving me some definite good food for thought!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have three Sadowskys (a UV70 and two Modern 5-24s) and they're great. But I also have three American Fender Jazz Basses and I can tell you right now that the Sadowsky isn't going to play or sound twice as good as your American Jazz Deluxe, a fine bass in its own right. The Modern 5-24 sounds kind of like a jazz bass that has been pushed further into jazz bassness with its inherently aggressive and throaty tone. I will say that you will feel different when you're playing the Sadowsky, and that's mostly what the extra money is for - at least in my case.

Anyway, I voted to keep the Jazz bass, save up for the Sadowsky and have both, because if you need the sound of a Fender Jazz bass, the Fender Jazz bass does it best, and the Sadowsky Modern 5-24 may go too far into jazz bassdom.

17. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm really against buying a bass before you've ever played it. That being said, I went into a store the other day and played a Fender Deluxe J, A Lull J, and a Sadowsky J. I thought the Sadowsky was the best of the three by far.

18. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Sadowsky's have earned their reputation. It's not just the ridiculously fat low end or the articulate mid range, it's the playability. I thought the Jazz bass design could only be so comfortable...I was wrong.

19. I spent a few minutes with a used Metro 5 once. I was a teenager, and my friends had to drag me out of the store...

Of all the basses I've picked up and noodled with in a shop, that one has left a very strong, very positive impression. I'd love to try one again, now that the basses in my possesion are of that quality level/price range.

If I try one again, and it plays and sounds like the one I remember, I hope someone is there to drag me out again :p

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I vote for making the trip. This is a high-dollar decision, and you can easily do the trip in a day.

If you really want to make the drive worth your while, I suggest allowing enough time to go to Bass Club Chicago and spend a few hours there trying out Sadowskys, Laklands, Lulls and others, then hopping over to Chicago Music Exchange a couple miles away to check out their selection (which includes a huge vintage Fender collection, but also some boutique brands). Both are great stores with nice staff and a tremendous amount of great bass gear. Of course, sometime during the day you have to get a Chicago dog and/or some deep dish.:)