1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i think those guys at Alembic are onto something...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Mar 13, 2008.

1. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I really haven't found any onboard preamps that I really really like, except for the alembic preamps with the filter (no eq on it) Honestly I end up setting most preamps absolutely flat and panning the pickups for tonal adjustments. And sometimes on passive basses I roll off the highs a bit. But the Alembic filter just works amazingly well for bass. I actually use it alot and change it for different sounds. Can't say that for EQs.

Actually out of all the EQs I really like the parametric in a US Peavey Millenium. The mids actually works similiar to the Alembic filter.

I am not sure if it is the combination of their pickups and the filter or if I would like a similiar filter with regular pickups just as well. But the Peavey makes me think I like the filter. OK so does anyone know where I can get a similiar active filter? It doesn't even have to be onboard. Actually i might prefer it in a box so that I can use it with all my basses.

So I want a Alembic filter in abox (but not the expensive F2x preamp.) It should be jsuta simple little circuit like the on board filter itself BUT because the impedance of Alembic pickups are way different I am sure it would have to be designed differently. Anyone have any ideas?

Joe

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Do you have a q-filter with it? I don't know what it does...

3. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    yeah, a filter would work great with passive pickups. The whole reason they used a filter was because their low impedance pickups have a very flat response, with the resonant peak being very high. So by using a low pass filter with adjustable resonance (Q) you can silulate the tone of a high impedance pickup.

Here's a passive pickup into a low pass and then high pass filter.

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/media/lp-hp.mp3

Stay tuned... ;)

4. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Alembic is STILL the king of active basses for me. Ron Wickersham, who designed the electronics, worked for Ampex in the old days, and it was all designed to be studio quality, right down to the low-impedance pickups, balanced outs, and a hefty outboard power supply that could deliver lots of current, which translates to great sound.

The Alembic electronics are built around a design called a "State-Variable Filter". The filter designs have continuous control of boost/cut, corner frequency and Q (bandwidth), as well as having low-pass, bandpass and high-pass outputs. There is not a whole lot like that on the market, BUT.....there is an old Craig Anderton book called "Electronic Projects For Musicians" that contains a project called the "Super Filter", which is the closest I have seen. It is EXACTLY what I described, complete with the three filter outputs. You might want to consider having it built for you. I built this box a LONG time ago. Just wish I could remember where I left it! :mad:

5. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    That Craig Anderton Super Tone Control is a VERY cool circuit. I had one in a box back in the 70's that would sit on top of my amp.

The early Ken Smith basses had something similar to the Anderton circuit in them.

Ron Wickersham had some very forward ideas back then. Rick Turner designed the pickups. Originally each had its own dummy coil until RW came up with the active common dummy coil thing. Now of course they are stacked hum cancelers.

6. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    ctmullins likes this.